mtbr member
    Nov 2010

Converting 2011 Stumpy FSR to non brain shock

I'm having consistent problems with my Brain shock leaking oil, brain knob freezing up and/or turning endlessly, and having a tough time getting full travel no matter what setting it is in.

TO start I have a 2011Stumpy 29er, frame only build, built XO with a 140 Reba RLT ti.

I'm thinking of switching to a EVO-spec shock so I can run a non brain shock and have less headaches. I know I can't run anything else other than a specialized custom made shock and unlike the EPIC, these stumpys have the proprietary shock setup. I also won't run a triad 2, becasue I feel they are even worse than the brain.

Current brain is the typical 7.75x1.8 that came on the '11

Looking at my 2011 MY they made a RP23-S for the EVO that is a 7.75 x 1.8 that should fit, but what else would I need, does the complete link have to be changed? Is this even still available?

For 2012 they changed the frame a bit, but not sure if one of the EVO shocks from 2012 would fit or not. The shock sizes are the same from 2011 to 2012 and the RP23 on the evo for 2012 has autosag and the adaptive logic.

For 2013 it looks like they shortened up the length to 7.64 x1.8 for the EVO line from 7.75 x2.0 for 2011/2012.

If anyone has any insight it would be much appreciated or if you or someone you know has an EVO line shock they are looking to get rid of. I would like to have something that will be easy for me to service as needed and not have to spend a few hundred each time this brain shock breaks.
    Last edited by ds33gt; 11-03-2012 at 11:22 AM.
    '14 Yeti SB95c--Pike'd

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    There have got to be a few people who have converted to a EVO shock setup from the brain setup. Any help appreciated....
    '14 Yeti SB95c--Pike'd

mtbr member
    I did it on my "11 Stumpy Elite, 26" wheel though. 7.75 x 1.9 swapped out for 7.75 x 2.0. Mine bolted right up to the existing link.
    2011 Stump Jumper
    2005 Iron Horse Warrior

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I am also very interested in this. I've been wanting to change my shock but don't know what I would need to do to make it happen.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I found a post from a year or two ago. Looks like we can use the 2011 rp23 s shock from the evo or the 2012 rp23 with adaptive logic and auto sag. I have to check my LBS to see if any of these shocks are available. From what I have read nothing else is needed just remove brain shock and resevoir, unbolt the proprietary yoke and bolt it to the rp23 and reinstall.
    '14 Yeti SB95c--Pike'd

mtbr member
    It is an easy swap with no extra parts needed. I swapped between the Evo RP23 and the Brain quite a bit on my 2011. I now have a 2013 Evo and I kept the 2011 RP23 as a backup for when i need my CTD serviced.

Here is my write up

2011 Stumpjumper FSR Elite Evo

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Haha, that is the thread I was referencing earlier. What did you pay for your shock? I'm going to try to get the 2012 rp23, hopefully it is available.

Anyone have access to check inventory? I'd even buy one off someone who could hook me up with a decent deal. If not I will have to call my old shop up in PA I refuse to go to the local spesh dealer here in SW FL, they are only concerned with road bikes.
    '14 Yeti SB95c--Pike'd

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by ds33gt View Post
    I found a post from a year or two ago. Looks like we can use the 2011 rp23 s shock from the evo or the 2012 rp23 with adaptive logic and auto sag. I have to check my LBS to see if any of these shocks are available. From what I have read nothing else is needed just remove brain shock and resevoir, unbolt the proprietary yoke and bolt it to the rp23 and reinstall.
    I've been to three shops now asking about this very thing. I've got a 2011 Comp 29er that I'd love to replace the Triad with an RP23.

My local shop said they could order it, but it wouldn't be "right". Right meaning it wouldn't be tuned for that exact frame, and so wouldn't ride the same. They were so adament that I'd be messing with the bike and making a mistake, that I just didn't have the nerve to say go ahead and order it anyway, and then have them end up saying "told ya so".

So I went to the shop where I bought the bike from. They seemed to think it should be a straight drop in swap, but after talking with Specialized, said something about how the EVO 29ers shock mounts up on the frame differently than the FSR, and so it couldn't swap over.

Third shop I went to, huge shop in a big city, said the same thing. The reason I went to them was that their websidte said they had an EVO 29er in stock, and I was hoping, pretty sure they wouldn't, but hoping, that maybe they'd unbolt the shock from that and see if it would fit on my frame. But of course, they said they weren't gonna do that.

So now I'm reluctant to do anything, don't want to drop $300 or so on a shock and have it not fit. Also, not sure if Specialized even has any RP23's to upgrade withOther option is to buy a stock RP23 and send it to PUSH or someone, and have them put the RP23 body on my Triad shaft and set up stroke to be the same, but I couldn't find an RP23 for sale online anywhere. And the new CTD shocks just seem to be a Triad in Fox clothing anyway.

So now I've got a question to Specialized tech support asking for more info on what exactly the mounting diferences are between the two frames. Hopefully they'll be able to shed more light on this.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I can understand why they don't want to sell you one for liability reasons. But as a few others have said and done, its a simple swap and it works, no issues.

What shock are you requesting? The 2011 RP23-s or the 2012 version with boost valve and kashima coat?

If you've followed this thread or the other one, there is a .1" difference, so I can't imagine if it did make a difference it would be neglible. It adds I believe 5mm more rear end travel. AS long as the stroke is the same, we are good to go...
    '14 Yeti SB95c--Pike'd

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    The triad shock is absolute garbage, I blew 3 of them on my 2011 camber pro, and upgraded to a pushed rp23 with the correct spacer to make it work. NIGHT and DAY difference, the valving and compression upgrades make it worth the upgrade!!!
    '14 Yeti SB95c--Pike'd

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by ds33gt View Post
    I can understand why they don't want to sell you one for liability reasons. But as a few others have said and done, its a simple swap and it works, no issues.

What shock are you requesting? The 2011 RP23-s or the 2012 version with boost valve and kashima coat?

If you've followed this thread or the other one, there is a .1" difference, so I can't imagine if it did make a difference it would be neglible. It adds I believe 5mm more rear end travel. AS long as the stroke is the same, we are good to go...
    I'm looking for the 2012. As far as I can tell, they're exactly the same length and stroke. The 2011 measurements are given in inches, and the 2012 in mm, but if you do the conversions they come out almost exactly the same, I'd say the difference is just them rounding off. And even if thay are different measurements, it's something like 2/100ths of a mm or something extremely small like that.

It shouldn't add anything to the rear travel. For 2011, Speicalized got that extra 5mm of travel through use of different linkages. For 2012 and beyond, they used different shock length or stroke to get the extra travel.

All these shock swaps have been on the 26" bikes. As I said, two of my shops, after checking with Specialized, say there's something about the way the shock mounts to the 29er EVO and FSR that makes them incompatible.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Specialized tells me that the clevis on the EVO is different than what's on the FSR. Well yeah, that's how the 2012 EVO gets 5mm more travel than the standard FSR. I don't know if it's longer or shorter, or whatever, but the difference is how they get the extra travel.

What I need to know is if the shock attaches to the clevis in the same manner. So I posted another question to them asking them.

mtbr member
    On the 2011 model the travel difference is due to the longer stroke on evo rp23. On 12/13 all the shocks are the same length and the travel difference is due to the shape of the link.

I have a 2011 elite with the brain shock, a 2011 evo rp23 and 2013 evo in my garage. I will take pix and show how the shocks are all interchangeable.

This only applies to the 26" though. I cant confirm the fitment of different shocks on the 29 er.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Got my answer today. The Specialized tech says that the way the shock attaches to the clevis on the EVO is different than on the FSR. Says you would need the clevis from the EVO, and they aren't available.

I'd have to think they almost did this purposely to stop people from upgrading in this way.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I have a 29er, but the shock sizes all seem
    To be the same across the board. I need to figure something out...

Mr lynch is saying he can swap his 2011 brain shock, 2011 rp23 s, and his 2013 float not sure why they are telling you it's not possible....

I just need to find someone who is willing to sell me a 2011/2012 evo shock...
    '14 Yeti SB95c--Pike'd

mtbr member
    I was told that I was real lucky to get my rp23. the story I got is the rp23s they do have are for warranty replacements only and not for aftermarket . the end of the shock where it mounts to the clevis is the same that's just the excuse they tell people so they don't have to sell you one... they tried that one on me until we proved it on a earlier thread
    I always type in bold cuz I'm blind as a bat
    For the Rich there is therapy!!!! for the rest of us we have Mountain Biking

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Rakuman View Post
    I was told that I was real lucky to get my rp23. the story I got is the rp23s they do have are for warranty replacements only and not for aftermarket . the end of the shock where it mounts to the clevis is the same that's just the excuse they tell people so they don't have to sell you one... they tried that one on me until we proved it on a earlier thread
    But you're talking 26", aren't you?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rufus View Post
    But you're talking 26", aren't you?
    Will someone that has a evo 29er post a pic of the shock to clevis fit so we can put this to bed, There is no reason that they would have a different fit at the connection for 29er and 26 evos they are the same shock just different travel .. Maybe tuned a little different but i doubt it... here is a pic of the 2012 triad vs a evo rp23 if your 2011 29 comp looks the same it will work..
    Last edited by Rakuman; 11-11-2012 at 07:41 AM.
    I always type in bold cuz I'm blind as a bat
    For the Rich there is therapy!!!! for the rest of us we have Mountain Biking

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I miss-typed earlier there is def the difference in travel from a 26 to 29, but the mount has to be the same across the board....someone to confirm this would be great.
    '14 Yeti SB95c--Pike'd