mtbr member
    Aug 2006

Control Tires - Rips from bead

Is this a normal issue with control tires? I have only ran DH or SX casing in the past with no issues and first go at Controls, Front and Rear ripped from the bead.

Butcher front & Purgatory in the back.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Control Tires - Rips from bead-photo-1-1-.jpg  

Control Tires - Rips from bead-photo-2-1-.jpg  

Control Tires - Rips from bead-photo-3-1-.jpg  

mtbr member
    Obviously, not a normal issue for these tires. Looks like you hit something and dinged the rim and the tire.
    Geologist by trade...bicycle mechanic (former) by the grace of God!

2012 Specialized Stumpy EVO 29 HT

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Rims are carbon so can't ding. There is no evidence of hit/damage to the rim either so I can assure you there is no impact to it and the photos you are seeing are 3 different rips on both tires.

Quote Originally Posted by TiGeo View Post
    Obviously, not a normal issue for these tires. Looks like you hit something and dinged the rim and the tire.

Rider, Builder, Dreamer
    The control casing is a single ply casing and a light one at that. I was having the same troubles. I lo e how the tires perform but keep rilling out the sidewall under the rim. I terestingly enough, I have only had troubles when running them tubeless. He tube adds just enough structure to prevent tears and rolling out.

Try the armadillo or grid UST versions of those tires.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Cheers. I don't think butchers come in the casing you recommend? As far as I am aware they only come DH/SX/Control.

I really want to stick to this tire as I run them on my Demo (DH casing). I not only love the performance, but is great to have the same feel on the front tire on my Enduro as I do on the Demo but with lighter weight.

I was running Tubes (I always do) which is lucky as otherwise I would've had a flat on the spot. I just took them off today and took further pics as per below.

Even for a single ply casing is still pretty poor quality product I must say. My riding buddies have never seen this before either!

Quote Originally Posted by sambs827 View Post
    The control casing is a single ply casing and a light one at that. I was having the same troubles. I lo e how the tires perform but keep rilling out the sidewall under the rim. I terestingly enough, I have only had troubles when running them tubeless. He tube adds just enough structure to prevent tears and rolling out.

Try the armadillo or grid UST versions of those tires.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Control Tires - Rips from bead-photo-1.jpg  

Control Tires - Rips from bead-photo-2.jpg  

Control Tires - Rips from bead-photo-3.jpg  

Control Tires - Rips from bead-photo-4.jpg  

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Hey man specialized has a great warranty (90 day) for their tires. If you still have the receipt take them back to the shop and they will replace them for free. I returned a pair of used renegades to the shop because I didnt like them and they replace them free for a new set of purgatories.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    To me it looks like manufacturing defect and warranty case. Things happen...
    The Butchers are excellent tires though - DH and SX especially.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by iguanabartola View Post
    Rims are carbon so can't ding. There is no evidence of hit/damage to the rim either so I can assure you there is no impact to it and the photos you are seeing are 3 different rips on both tires.
    Is that a scuff on the rim in the third picture? To the left of the spoke it looks like a fracture slightly. It is hard to tell from the pic though, and could just be a scuff?
    Stay aware of those who hide in plain sight.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by sergio8691 View Post
    To me it looks like manufacturing defect and warranty case. Things happen...
    The Butchers are excellent tires though - DH and SX especially.
    I love the tires for sure! so would like to stick to them. My LBS has asked me to bring the tires for them to check them out as they haven't seen this before either.

Quote Originally Posted by stumpynerd View Post
    Hey man specialized has a great warranty (90 day) for their tires. If you still have the receipt take them back to the shop and they will replace them for free. I returned a pair of used renegades to the shop because I didnt like them and they replace them free for a new set of purgatories.
    Cheers buddy, but over well over 90 days. Still plenty of rubber to use so a shame this has happened. As above, hopefully my LBS can assist.

Quote Originally Posted by jochribs View Post
    Is that a scuff on the rim in the third picture? To the left of the spoke it looks like a fracture slightly. It is hard to tell from the pic though, and could just be a scuff?
    No fracture, rims are good, just little scuffs here and there. Checked them yesterday thoroughly while putting new tires on them.

Rocking some Schwalbe Fat Alberts I had lying around. Just came back from a ride, not bad but a bit sluggish on the rolling side.

Rider, Builder, Dreamer
    Now seeing the new photos I also say go for the warranty. I would certainly warrant that at my shop (we do specialized as well).

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Thanks for the feedback, good to know your position as a bike shop. LBS seems pro-active at moment so will take the tires to them this week and let you know.

Quote Originally Posted by sambs827 View Post
    Now seeing the new photos I also say go for the warranty. I would certainly warrant that at my shop (we do specialized as well).