mtbr member
    Jan 2009

Considerations, need some opinions.

I am considering a Stumpjumper 29'r to add to the stable (stable of 1, I have a Stumpy 26'r FSR Comp already) and am wondering what you all think the best "bang for the buck" is between 3 models in the 2013 lineup. The Marathon Carbon 29 (would be a BIG stretch for me $$ wise), The Carbon Expert 29 (a little $$ stretch) or the The Carbon Comp 29? Here is the twist, I have a $2500 credit at the LBS, so after a standard 10% off, I could walk out of the shop with the Comp for very little money.

I would really like to try the HT 29'r thing as I love climbing, mountain roads and single track, it seems like the Stumpy HT would serve me well in those situations. I have a credit at the shop, so I kinda want to get into a bike I otherwise could not afford, hence the adding a 2nd bike to the stable. Now here's the big curve ball. My current Stumpy FSR 26'r has served me really well, and is in great shape, but its an 09', so I am wondering if I should consider going to some new technology and going with a new FSR in a higher model, or get another Comp and do some upgrades and just keep it to one bike and forget the 29'r HT all together. Lots of questions and am looking for some opinions to chew on.

My riding: I love climbing, I also enjoy bombing downhill, but it's mostly pretty mild singletrack. I ride in Western Washington, Tiger Mountain when in Seattle, Methow Valley in the Cascades, and in Western Montana, Missoula specifically to give you an idea. I don't do big drops but I do try and push it when headed down hill.

Ok, so this is a bit all over the place, but what do you think? Good 2nd bike to the stable? Which 29'r is the best one to compliment what I have? Forget it and upgrade, keep the one bike, sell what I have and upgrade that new bike further?

Thanks for reading!

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Looks like your budget is around 4 or 5 G's...Can u demo a 2013 29er Carbon Comp at the $4100 mark...I would think that would be the best bang for the buck, a nice 15mm thru axle and a carbon main triangle...nice. When talking stumpy hardtail, front fork travel diminishes to around 90mm with OS 28 end caps, just looking on what you like to ride, enjoy bombing the downhill, the 29er is great on downhill and climbing up hill. You could part out the 26er fsr and buy a 26er stumpy hardtail for cheap on eBay, everyone going to the 29er. I had been a hardcore 26er until people started passing me by in every direction with a 29er, climbing, decending, straight away. So first might want to look at a 29er of some sorts, hardtail or full FSR.