iRideSpesh

Concern about ROVAL CONTROLE SL XC DISC WHEELSET !!!

Hello Speci-Suspension Tech

In January 2009 I purchased a pair of ROVAL CONTROLE SL XC DISC WHEELSET for my S-Works hardtail bike. Few days ago, after a bike ride I noticed that the front hub had a bit of play, which I thought the quick-release may have become loose, but that was not the case. Took the bike to my local bike-shop and they said it appears that the bearings need replacing. They rang the warranty department and was told that new set of bearing are on the way (which in my view this is excellent customer service). My concern at the moment is that; I have not ridden the wheels for more than 200miles in very light XC routes and for the bearings to need replacing is rather unusual ! The reason I am expressing my concern is that between 18th- 25th July I am doing the Transalps Marathon race (450miles), and I am wondering whether the wheels will be up to the job? Whether to take a spare set of bearings, as the last thing I want is not being able to complete the marathon race as a result having to replace wheel bearings.

Your response/suggestions to my concerns will be much appreciated.

shpinx

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    shpinx,

You should be good to go with the bearings. Get in contact with me or Specialized UK service center two weeks leading up to the race give us an update and we will make sure you are good to go.
    Visit my profile for Links to:

Performance Guarantee, Service, Setup, E150 Maintenance....

iRideSpesh
    Many thanks Speci-Suspension, as always very helpful, will let you know how I get on with the new set of bearings.

Cheers
    Shpinx

Monkey Wrench
    Dec 2005
    My SL's had rough bearings out of the box. I rode them for about 50 miles before realizing that they were now REALLY ROUGH. I called Specialized warranty (I'm a shop manager) and they sent new bearings right away - apparently a batch of them had been set with the wrong tool and damaged the race. I have another 400 miles on them now and they are in great shape - smooth and tight. I'm not worried about their future.

FYI the bearing is the same size as many 20mm thru hubs, so you could go aftermarket if you desired.
    Let me fix your bike @ ordinarybicycle.net in Louisville, CO

mtbr member
    opps