mtbr member

New question here. Computer for Epic

I have all ready sent one computer back to the store because it wouldn't fit. Does anyone have a computer with Altimeter and HR on their Epic?? I am still looking for one but afraid to buy one if it doesn't fit. The Altimeter is a must, the HR is an option.
    2010 Specialized Epic Expert Carbon
    2008 SL2
    2005 S-Works E5
    and the patience of a 2 yr old.

mtbr member
    Which part wouldn't fit?

If you get a wireless computer then the speed sensor will mount on the suspension fork lower leg and the head unit will fit onto the handlebars.

Something like a Specialized SpeedZone Digital Comp HR Computer has an altimeter and heart rate monitor built in.

http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bc/...=9310&eid=5136

I've got a Polar RS800CX at the moment on my 2009 Epic. That uses zip ties for the speed and cadence sensors and fits ok. The big advantage of something like the RS800CX is that you can download your data onto the computer post ride to look at closely.

http://www.polar.fi/en/products/cycling/RS800CX_PTE

I put the cadence sensor on the rear chainstay close to the pivot so that when the suspension compresses the sensor will still be in roughly the same position relative to the magnet on the crank.

mtbr member
    The problem I was having was that the sensors were too far apart. For example, the wheel sensor to the fork sensor to the computer were all too far apart. There was no way to get them any closer. The "Polar CS200 T31C Special Edition Cyclocomputer/Heart Rate Monitor". But if the Specialized computer works, I will give that one a try. Thanks.
    2010 Specialized Epic Expert Carbon
    2008 SL2
    2005 S-Works E5
    and the patience of a 2 yr old.

mtbr member
    Transmission distance can be a problem with wireless speed sensors and suspension forks. It really depends on what transmission method is used by the sensor. With some sensors you have to put the speed sensor as close to the top of fork lower leg as possible to get transmission to the head unit.

Newer models that use 2.4ghz transmission (eg: the ANT+ Sport standard or the proprietary Polar W.I.N.D) have a much longer transmission range so don't have that issue.