never ender

Command Post won't lock into position

My Blacklite post is a little over a year old (and therefore past warranty), and about a week ago it started sliding out of position without my touching the lever. Replaced the cable and housing with no effect, and the action of the activating arm at the top of the post feels pretty slow and notchy, so it's not a cable or lever issue.

All I can find on this problem is a reference to "resetting the plunger height" and something about the post's internal cable. It seems like if the internal cable was worn and stretched it would cause the issues I'm having, but I'm hesitant to try to disassemble the entire post without knowing what's in there. Anybody have access to the Specialized manuals for getting into the guts of this thing? If not, is this a service that most Specialized dealers are going to be familiar with? I'm on the East Coast, and as far as I know there's only one store in the area that sells Specialized.

Thanks for any help.

mtbr member
    "Lighten up Francis" Sgt. Hulka

never ender
    Yeah, I disassembled and lubed it back in May and it worked great right up until last week. I'm gonna pull the tubes apart again tomorrow and see if I can spot an easy fix.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    I recommend servicing them every 6 months or so. You may have some broken parts inside that need to be replaced. You can send it in and get it refurbished that makes it like new again. I have 4 of these and been using them for 3 years now....every 6 months they need service. Here is a link to how to service it yourself until something breaks.

Tech Tuesday - Specialized Command Post Blacklite Maintenance - Pinkbike

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    My internal cable broke. At first, it started to drop with my weight on it while riding, then later it locked into one the positions and stayed there.

Sent it in, they did a complete overhaul (all new serviceable items) and also replaced the upper tube as mine had a scratch in it (so they said), $120.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Could be a broken collet inside the post. Open it up and see if anything looks broken. If you don't see anything, go to the local Specialized dealer and have them give Specialized a call. We have a local guy who had a couple of different issues with his Command Post. First time it was a broken collet, which we sent the post back to Specialized for repair. The next issue he had with the same post, Specialized just sent us a new post for him.

never ender
    Finally found my strap wrench to take the thing apart, and looks like it's a broken collet. Bummer. Any idea how much it will cost me to have SBC refurbish the thing? If it's more than 100 bucks or so, I might just save up a while longer and snag a KS instead.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    My command post broke for the 2nd time in 2 years. Sheared 3 ears off the the collet....same as last time.

Sorry S fanboys. But this is a manufacturing/design problem.

I told the shop I WONT pay to fix it again. $100/year is a lot of coin for what was already a very expensive seatpost. The post on my wife's giant is much less expensive and much easier to actuate.