mtbr member

Command Post Winter Tune

I have two Command Posts- one original and one Blacklite (2012). I love them both, but last year I was riding my 1st Gen in the winter on my fat bike and it wouldn't come up. I figured it was just not made for cold weather, but now I find out there's a cold-weather tune.

I've found the Specialized document for the first generation, and it says to use a 10wt suspension fluid for the cold weather tune.
    http://service.specialized.com/asc/C...0208A_revA.pdf

However, this document is from 2009 and I've also read in some threads that Specialized recommends using a motor oil or the like. Anyone have any updated info? I've heard there's a video for it, but can't find it anywhere. There are a few threads on the CP that have some info in them, but I thought starting a new one specific to the topic would be better.

Thanks in advance for any tips/ direction. I'll be doing the service myself and don't have any problem with it, just wanna know the best advice for which lube/ oil.
    "There are two kinds of mountain bikers in the world: those who are faster than me, and me."

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    There is a cold wx tune for them, though I cant remember which oil is recommended. My best advice is to contact a dealer to find out. You can even call Specialized if the dealer is not helpful (as I've had to do).

I will look and see if I can find the video/info that i used last year. Once you do the cold wx tune on it, you can leave it that way during warmer wx. Unless you live on mars. The cold wx tune is just a lighter weight oil/lube like you have mentioned. I did mine and left it that way all summer here (Va) and it worked flawlessly. The only adjustment I had to make was adding some more air to it.

Hopefully this is helpful.
    2012 Specialized Hardrock Sport 29
    2014 Specialized Stumpjumper Elite

mtbr member
    I used slick honey on mine with better results. I don't ride below 40 degrees so you're results may vary. I also changed to a better cable which helped.

mtbr member
    Thanks guys- I think the Slick honey is just the recommended grease for all weather tuning now, from what I can tell. I think the fluid is the key. I'll hit up Specialized for more info.
    "There are two kinds of mountain bikers in the world: those who are faster than me, and me."

mtbr member
    I use Slick Honey all the time. When it starts to get a little colder I just bump up the air pressure a little.
    2011 Stump Jumper
    2005 Iron Horse Warrior