mtbr member
    Jul 2010

New question here. Command Post Seat Setting Issue . . .

Is there any way to adjust the 3 seat stop settings on the Command Post?

I have a new Stumpy FSR Expert 29er which I really love! (I will post some pictures later this week ).

As I said I really love the bike, however, I am having some minor problems with the Commmand Post pre-set seat settings. The current middle setting is great for easy, free-riding trails, but maybe .5-1 inch too high for me for our local Northeast tight/"treed", rocky technical stuff when I have to come the pedals in a hurry. (And like "Goldilocks" . . . the highest setting is definitely too high (heels come off pedals *slightly* at base of downstroke) and the lowest setting is definitely too low ).

I have the Command Post seat assembly as low in the frame's seat tube as it will go. When the seat drops to its lowest setting, the seat drops perfectly very low out of the way (which is of course way too low as a general, comfortable seat height-- I mention this only to point out that the frame size is not an issue).

Is there any way to change these pre-set Command Post seat height settings?

Thank you!

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    if you have the post all the way down, and the high setting is to high, you have to big frame size!! or very short legs.. . . . .

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by superstian2
    if you have the post all the way down, and the high setting is to high, you have to big frame size!! or very short legs.. . . . .
    Why are you saying the frame is too big?

I have a good 6.5-7 inches clearance above the top tube, and the top tube length fits me very comfortably. When the seat drops down to the bottom position, if I stayed on the seat, it is too compact to pedal comfortably.

I suspect you are suggesting that the difference in seat height extension from lowest to highest should be a comfortable range. On the road it probably would be (although maybe 1/4-1/2 inch lower off top setting would be better) . . . off road, I would prefer to have the high and medium setting come down about 1 inch (the medium setting lowered for when I want to put my feet on the ground and remain seated).

If this were not a Command Post set-up, I would just set the seat height and be good. It is a new bike and the size my local bike shop recommended and ordered (not an in-shop bike), now you have me thinking there is a problem . . .

Is adjusting the Command Post height possible?

Thanks.
    Last edited by Odyssey3; 11-08-2010 at 11:26 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Odyssey3
    Why are you saying the frame is too big?

I have a good 6.5-7 inches clearance above the top tube, and the top tube length fits me very comfortably. When the seat drops down to the bottom position, if I stayed on the seat, it is too compact to pedal comfortably.

I suspect you are suggesting that the difference in seat height extension from lowest to highest should be a comfortable range. On the road it probably would be (although maybe 1/4-1/2 inch lower off top setting would be better) . . . off road, I would prefer to have the high and medium setting come down about 1 inch (the medium setting lowered for when I want to put my feet on the ground and remain seated).

If this were not a Command Post set-up, I would just set the seat height and be good. It is a new bike and the size my local bike shop recommended and ordered (not an in-shop bike), now you have me thinking there is a problem . . .

Is adjusting the Command Post height possible?

Thanks.
    How tall are you and what size is the frame? Unfortunately, as far as I know, you're stuck with the preset heights on the command post. What I do is set the height of the post in the frame while it's in the middle ("cruising") position to where it's comfortable for most of my off-road riding. I only drop to the lowest position when doing serious descents or drops, and the highest position when I'm on the street or fire roads, etc. The highest setting gives me road-bike-like full extension, which I rarely like while mountain biking.

Admittedly, none of this will help you if you already have the post all the way down in the seat tube. Mine is up about an inch and a half, so I have some room to drop it. The frame sounds like it probably fits, but if you cannot find a comfortable height in the "middle" setting, you may want to stick to a standard seat post.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Maybe the new command post has bigger range of adjustment than my 2010 model had? Anyway you can use the new Rock Shox reverb post. Comes in 380 length and has no fixed settings and hydraulic adjustment. This will probably be the best on the market this year!! No problems with cable adjustment and comes with bleed kit and speed adjustment!! also 100g lither than spec. Next year I think fox will deliver an adjustable seatpost as well. Its going to be good and Spec must uppgrade to keep up!! The seat clamp on the command post sucks because it slipps all the time to!!

Fat Skis/Fat Tires
    The 2011 Command Post has a 125mm adjustment range vs. the 100mm range of the 2010. I have the 2010, and have the exact opposite issue because of long legs. I recommend we swap Command Posts, I'll overnight it today