mtbr member

Command Post Replacement Remote Lever.

The remote thumb lever finally broke off of my Command Post (Second Generation, not BlackLight). The thing was made from Liquid Injected Metal (Cast) and was not very strong at all. Snapped at the fulcrum / pin from use, not a crash, not a bound/dirty cable. I called specialized and they said I had to go to my local bike shop. I brought the lever in and my local bike shop wanted the whole bike so they could order the part under warranty and install it for $45. They also would not order the Blacklight version which I heard is much stronger / better made. I told them that if I could install the seat in the first place and obviously remove the lever I didn't need them to install it. They would not order the part without installing it. Aaargh. If only Specialized would just have sold me the dang part I would have been good.

KS remote lever to the rescue! (Mine is all black)

I ordered the KS remote lever, got it in a couple days, and installed the thing myself. I paid 69.00 for it but it is insanely built. 10 times better than the cheesy one that came with the command post. I installed it in a few minutes and was up and running. It will definately last forever. Its pretty versatile as well. you could use it as a remote shock lockout too. So I paid 24 more dollars than it would cost to install the original locally and got a much better product. Learned a little something about my LBS as well. They don't really want to cater to people who work on their own bikes. Heck, thats half the fun!
    Salsa Bucksaw
    Trek Farley
    Niner Jet9 RDO
    Niner Air9 Carbon SS
    Rockhopper Comp SL

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Where did you buy this remote?

mtbr member

I got it here.....

Quote Originally Posted by FoesFlyer View Post
    Where did you buy this remote?
    Kind Shock i900R/i950R Height Adjustable Seatpost Remote Kit 100064704

Great remote....
    Salsa Bucksaw
    Trek Farley
    Niner Jet9 RDO
    Niner Air9 Carbon SS
    Rockhopper Comp SL

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    The remote for my blacklite command post broke as well a couple months ago. It took my lbs in the bay area a about five days to receive a placement which was covered under warranty.

mtbr member
    Mine broke after 2 years of abuse.
    Local speci dealer ordered the new version in without issue and it cost me 9 (uk)
    Id look to change LBS as $45 is insane for fitting

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    2Few:

Hi, I realize this is an old thread, but I was wondering how the KS remote lever has held up on the command post over the past year and a half? Any issues?

I have the Blacklite post, and would love to clean up my bars a bit by using the KS lever in lieu of the inner lock ring on my ODI grip.

Thanks.

mtbr member

It Rocks.

The KS lever is still rockin. It has a "Lock" or little button you push to engage which I found annoying with gloves in full shred. Found myself looking at the bars instead of the trail "Bad", so I defeated it. After that I love it!

I recently put the DOSS post on my new Jet9RDO and it has a HUGE lever but I really like it too because of its simple use with big hands, no look, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by lunchwagon View Post
    2Few:

Hi, I realize this is an old thread, but I was wondering how the KS remote lever has held up on the command post over the past year and a half? Any issues?

I have the Blacklite post, and would love to clean up my bars a bit by using the KS lever in lieu of the inner lock ring on my ODI grip.

Thanks.
    Salsa Bucksaw
    Trek Farley
    Niner Jet9 RDO
    Niner Air9 Carbon SS
    Rockhopper Comp SL

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Right on, thanks for responding. I just ordered a LEV for my dad, so I'll get a chance to tinker with the KS remote on my Blacklite before setting up the new LEV on his bike. I can't believe they want $70 for just the lever, maybe I can find a used one at a local shop.

Yeah, the DOSS lever looks ridiculously big, but I understand function over form. I would just worry about damaging it or ripping the whole thing off in a big tumble.

Lord of the Chainrings
    My Kronolog remote lever is a big joke!
    Has sharp edges and sticks up too far.

Anyone ever try to replace the Crank Bros lever with the KS lever?
    "Hesitation is the Mother of Failure!"

~~ 951 for Dirt & Roadster for Asphalt ~~

mtbr member
    I replaced my Command post Lever with a shifter on both my bikes. I have xx1 on my SJ and a 1x10 setup on my Enduro so the left side lever was free to use for the seat post. It woudl work with any of the mechanical seatposts as long as you have a 1x setup.
    2013 Stumpy Evo
    2014 Fatboy

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Hey Mr. lynch, could u post a picture. My black light lever is becoming harder to press. I would like to do something to it.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006

shifter levers for post remote

Quote Originally Posted by jredling View Post
    Hey Mr. lynch, could u post a picture. My black light lever is becoming harder to press. I would like to do something to it.
    I did the same thing a year ago to my CP. I used a decent X5 Sram front Der shifter set in the 1st gear position. The action is just so much smoother for me. I set it up on the left side of the bars, but instead of using it for the Der , it releases the Command post instead. You have to have a 1x set up, obviously, for it to work. I sent in the post to Specialized for an overhaul and they thru in a brand new lever. It's the new version which is way more durable and comfortable. But I dont want it now that my set up is dialed. If anyone want to buy the new post lever cheap... let me know.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    By 1st position do you mean the granny gear? Do you have to release the trigger each time you drop the post? Or do you just not push it that far?
    Wanted: Ritchey P-20,21,22,23 in Team colors, 18-inch, '92-99, Ritchey Logic fork (threadless); NEW Rock Shox Judy Decal Sets

mtbr member
    2013 Stumpy Evo
    2014 Fatboy

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by bryantaber View Post
    I did the same thing a year ago to my CP. I used a decent X5 Sram front Der shifter set in the 1st gear position. The action is just so much smoother for me. I set it up on the left side of the bars, but instead of using it for the Der , it releases the Command post instead. You have to have a 1x set up, obviously, for it to work. I sent in the post to Specialized for an overhaul and they thru in a brand new lever. It's the new version which is way more durable and comfortable. But I dont want it now that my set up is dialed. If anyone want to buy the new post lever cheap... let me know.
    You still have that lever?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Lynch View Post
    I replaced my Command post Lever with a shifter on both my bikes. I have xx1 on my SJ and a 1x10 setup on my Enduro so the left side lever was free to use for the seat post. It woudl work with any of the mechanical seatposts as long as you have a 1x setup.
    Do you still have your original lever and would you be willing to sell it?

mtbr member
    I have the stock CP lever in red (aftermarket) and silver (OEM).
    2013 Stumpy Evo
    2014 Fatboy

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Lynch View Post
    I have the stock CP lever in red (aftermarket) and silver (OEM).
    Can you post a photo of them please, and how much would you let one go for?

mtbr member
    They arnt that dear to buy from Specialized. i broke mine in a fall and paid about 12 for a new lever which came with a new cable.
    MTB: Stumpy, Enduro, Hotrock, Commencal Supreme
    ROAD: Jamis Zenith, Pinarello Dogma

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by griffter18 View Post
    They arnt that dear to buy from Specialized. i broke mine in a fall and paid about 12 for a new lever which came with a new cable.
    Thanks for the tip!

I was thinking it would be nice to buy one from a member that has one sitting in a box somewhere and is not using it.

mtbr member
    If you check back through above posted when I changed mine and it was actually 9 hardly worth the hastle unless someone really has a spare lol
    MTB: Stumpy, Enduro, Hotrock, Commencal Supreme
    ROAD: Jamis Zenith, Pinarello Dogma

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by griffter18 View Post
    If you check back through above posted when I changed mine and it was actually 9 hardly worth the hastle unless someone really has a spare lol
    I have been contacted by someone with a spare. Thanks for helping !

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    My stock remote broke so I ordered the 9point8 trigger.

Command Post Replacement Remote Lever.-006.jpg

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by creeseph View Post
    My stock remote broke so I ordered the 9point8 trigger.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	006.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	85.5 KB 
ID:	969584

I also see that 9point* has a really nice thumb lever too! I can't seem to find anywhere to order one. where did you get it?

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Tagseim View Post
    I also see that 9point* has a really nice thumb lever too! I can't seem to find anywhere to order one. where did you get it?
    ^Nevermind, I'm an idiot. Directly from them.