mtbr member
    Oct 2015

Command post ircc service

Has anyone done this? According to my lbs spesh is selling service kits for it.
    I can't find any instructions or parts list for the post.

mtbr member
    Hey man, I am no expert so I didn't respond sooner, but I see you aren't getting many responses. My buddy came over and showed me how to get into mine. Take a strap wrench and get it apart. Once its apart (air out and cable off) the thing is seriously simple inside. Mine was not working at all and gritty. We removed all grease, cleaned it out, put slick honey all over the seals and mechanisms, put it back together, pumped it up and it worked like new. I am not sure what they are selling in the service kit, but I would recommend trying the above out, unless it is seriously jacked.
    2017 Stumpy 29 FSR Carbon/2016 YT Capra Al

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    So the collar has normal clockwise thread? I have been trying to get it open with strap wrench and friend. It's very tight.

mtbr member
    The service kit includes all the seals, keys and wipers.
    Home trails Swinley Forest UK

aka: Bucky Fikes
    I've done a couple but it's been a while. The issues I had to deal with were the expanding collet was disintegrating inside the housing leaving pieces of expansion teeth in the bottom of the housing. If this starts to happen, it damages the internal wall of the housing causing crappy performance after repair so if you start having notchy performance, don't wait to fix it. This is predicated on Specialized still using the collet based adjustment.
    Always ride with a purpose.

mtbr member
    Let the air out. Unscrew the collar with a strap wrench (yup, it's tight!). Push the remote lever on your handlebar and just pull that sucker up and out of the outer tube. Watch those brass keys. Don't lose 'em.

Wipe it all down including inside the part still in your bike. Push some Slick Honey up into the seal inside the collar, on the brass keys and on the post itself. Grab the remote lever and push the inner post back into the frame. Tighten the collar purty good, pressurize to 25 with it fully extended and go! It should feel amazing again.

These posts are so frikkin cheap and easy to service it's absurd. There are some o-ring seals in there if you want to pull it even more apart and replace those. Metric Nitrile N-70 23x1.5 and 25x1.5. One is just below the wiper in the collar the other is at the bottom of the post by the cable anchor behind the snap ring.

Enjoy!

mk
    TrailWerks Cyclery
    TrailWerks Suspension Service

trailwerkssuspension.com
    trailwerkscyclery.com

mtbr member
    What if the post tends to not hold air pressure? Source of the issue would be what?
    2017 Stumpy 29 FSR Carbon/2016 YT Capra Al

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    My guess would be seals/o-rings. It's totally mechanical post.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Soihtu View Post
    My guess would be seals/o-rings. It's totally mechanical post.
    Surely it would loose air if the top section of the post gets scratched? I don't have one of these posts but I've ordered one. Had to get one imported as they don't sell the 31.6 post in the UK.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Specialized has some videos on Vimeo for Command post IR service. Should be similar:

6-month service:

1-year service: