mtbr member
    Jun 2012

Command Post Cable

Hello everyone, I have a 2012 Stumpy Elite with a Command Post. Recently my cable housing ripped where the retainer is on the post and I want to replace it. I want to be able to do this myself, but before I start changing things, I was wondering if anyone has done this before?

Are the cables any different from other cables (size)?

Is the housing any different?

The Elite has the cables internally routed, is this as simple as stick it through one side and out the other?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    must i order and use only Specialize's cable and housing or may i order any derailleur or brake cable and housing?

Finally stateside again
    any should work and i would personally go with jag wire. they just make a very tough product. the only thing i would be careful of is the command post seem to be very picky on how much cable and housing is ran to them. like if there isn't enough the seat won't go up all the way. just make sure you give yourself a bit of slack and i am sure you can find somewhere that says the recommended amount to run

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I've replaced this cable - its a piece of cake. I just used a standard derailleur cable. I can also recommend Jagwire as well, that's what I used. Great product.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Because they can become a bit stiff to operate it works well if you put a campagnolo cable in a standard housing. It is a smaller diameter so runs more smoothly.

J-Flo
    Apr 2012
    Any derailleur cable and housing will work. (Derailleur cable, not brake cable.) You will need a cable cutter tool to get a clean cut on the cable housing -- wire cutters or hacksaw won't work. The job is very simple and straightforward. Follow Specialized instructions for getting the cable adjustment right, and it is a snap. Fixing the cable end barrel to the lever on top of the seatpost can be a hassle if the seat is installed; it is easier to note the seat's position and take it off.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    thanks guys!

how about the internal routing on my stumpy? will i need any special technique in getting everything through or is it straight in one said and out the other? are there guides inside to guide the cable?