The Green Machine
    Dec 2007

Command Post Blacklite - Broken Piece

My Command Post Blacklite has been acting weird since last spring. Didn't ride much during summer, and in the fall brought it shop to get suspension services. Asked them to take a look, they couldn't find anything and said they couldn't replicate the problem.

The problem being the post was a bit "sticky". Sometimes would work find and sometimes not. Especially from the second stage to the fully extended stage. Slow engagement, slow to pop up, etc.

Bike shop said maybe cable tension and that's all they fiddled with.

I came across a yotube video from specialized showing how to take it apart, clean and grease. I thought that might do the trick. When I opened it up, I found the white plastic sleeve towards the bottom of the collet (I think that's that it's called) to be cracked. Could this be the cause?

How do I go about getting a new one? Do I have to go through the hassle of sending the thing back to specialized and potentially lose a weekend of riding?

mtbr member
    Are you talking about the white split bushing? It's supposed to be split, but is yours cracked beyond that? Photo included.

Here's a link to Pinkbike's Blacklite article, pretty good description and pictures. And for reference here is the Specialized Blacklite Troubleshooting video on Youtube.

I had a similar issue with the sticky behavior you mentioned. I went through the service video, following steps exactly with Slick Honey, but still had the same issue. I took the post to my LBS where they confirmed the behavior. They tried a brand new command post and got the same result. Turns out my seat collar was binding (threads got fouled) and was too tight on the post causing the movement to bind and feel sticky. They put a new seat collar on, hit it with some carbon paste, and tightened to torque spec. The post now works perfectly.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by ebeer; 12-10-2012 at 12:53 PM. Reason: Grammar

The Green Machine
    Dec 2007
    Yes, that's the piece. No, it's not cracked beyond that, I didn't realize that's how it was supposed to be.

Sorry, what piece are you referring to when you say "seat collar"? The collar on the bike where the seat tube slides in or the collar on the command post that you need to unscrew to take apart?

Thanks for the help!!!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by littleblue View Post
    Sorry, what piece are you referring to when you say "seat collar"? The collar on the bike where the seat tube slides in or the collar on the command post that you need to unscrew to take apart?
    Seat collar meaning piece that holds the command post in the frame.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by ebeer; 12-10-2012 at 01:00 PM. Reason: Add photo

The Green Machine
    Dec 2007
    Hmmm, mine is a quick release. I hope they don't accuse me of over tightening, I made it as loose as I could without slipping.

If this is the case, the post should work fine if I loosen it up, way loose for teat purposes right?

I'll give it a shot when I get home tonight. Be great if it was this easy of a fix.

mtbr member
    Yeah, that would be nice if it works. The problem for me was that I had to tighten the collar enough so that the seatpost wouldn't slip down when I sat on it, but loose enough that it didn't bind the post internals. For whatever reason, the shop guys found that tight enough not to slip was too tight for the post internals, and throwing a new collar on was the fix.

Note: One nice thing bout the non-quick release is it's a little harder (just a little) for someone to steal your command post. Yeah I know, it's only a hex screw, but $270 seatpost just sitting there for someone to take is more tempting. And....if you buy the 2013 seat collar from Spesh it includes a cable guide

The Green Machine
    Dec 2007
    Well, I gave it a try when I got home, loosened up the qr a bunch but had the same results. Just too sticky for it to work properly.

After reading the info provided in the article, I realized that I was running low psi. I was filling to 40 psi with the post in the collapsed position. Now, it worked fine this way when it was new and for the firs month so something is definitely not rght, but when I increased the pai to 30+ it was enough to overcome the sticking.

I guess I'll just ride it like this for now and hope it doesn't break out of warranty.