mtbr member

Clutch vs. Butcher

Has anyone ridden the Specialized Butcher tire in wet BC-ish conditions? I am considering getting Butcher SX for the upcoming wet season, or possibly the Butcher SX for front and Clutch SX for the rear.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    I've ridden both at Whistler.

I like to think that the Butcher has better cornering and the Clutch has better braking traction. But the Butcher is aimed a little more at drier conditions. Compared to the clutch, it rolls a little faster, but I'd say the Clutch has better penetration in wet northwest soil/loam.

If anything I'd run Clutch up front and Butcher rear in damp to wet conditions. I could be splitting hairs though. Maybe buy one of each and swap them back and forth till you find a combo you like?

If you want ultimate wet-ish traction, the new Hillbilly is the best thing going for variable conditions. It only comes in the DH casing though...

mtbr member
    Thanks for the information. My main priority is wet weather traction on roots and exposed bedrock over the next 4 months. We donít have much mud on southern Vancouver Island, but lots of rock and roots intermixed with high humus loam. The Hillbilly looks like a mud tire, rather than a wet-roots-and-rock tire. Have you ridden the Hillbilly in the wet?

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Yup, I've ridden the Hillbillys in the wet and loved them. Since he can write better than me, I'll just point you to this write up: http://freehubmag.com/2010/10/specia...billy-dh-tire/ and say that I can basically echo his comments. It eats loam like none other and it's my favorite DH tire when there's any sort of moisture out on the trail. When it's drier I'll pull out the Butchers. Not that it's an either/or situation; they have plenty of overlap in capabilities.

But if you're still looking for more of a trail/SX tire instead of DH, then I'll defer back to my comments above.

The Unaffiliated
    Oct 2009
    The Hillbilly looks pretty sick for sloppy conditions.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    I had a super wet season in Whistler during mid September and used Clutches SX front/back. I was AMAZED with this tyres specially in the wet.

I couldn't believe how grippy, and fast rolling the SX is in wet & dry. As somebody also mentioned, braking traction was also amazing.

Coming from minions & nevegal/blue grove in my other 2 bikes (using them for the last 2 years), the Clutches are the tyres I trust the must. A true overall tyre in my humble opinion.

mtbr member
    I can't wait to try them on Schleyer-Rock City in the rain

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Bronston
    I can't wait to try them on Schleyer-Rock City in the rain
    ha! that was my playground in the lower mountain apart from Aline and Dirt Merchant of course!!!!

mtbr member
    I ended up getting the Butcher SX front and back. Wow, amazing traction and cornering on the wet rocks and roots in Cumberland and Victoria. I love the way they corner. The felt slow and heavy at first, but they track so well it is worth the heft.