mtbr member
    Jul 2009

Clunking noise coming from headset area

I recently noticed a clunking noise coming from the headset area of my Hardrock disc. I can replicate the noise if I hold the front brake and rock the bike forward and back. Is this normal? Do most bikes have some degree of play in the headset? I have been hitting some really nice trails lately. Is it possible that the trails are too much for the stock headset to handle? I haven't been doing any jumps or anything, but some of the downhill sections are pretty rough. I'm still very new at this hobby and I need some help.

Thanks in advance.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    There should be no play in that area. Hold your hand on the stem bearings while rocking the bike back and forth with the front brake on to see if there is any play. If there is tighten them up or they might need replace

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Your headset may just need to be adjusted/tightened.
    This VIDEO should help. If it doesn't help you'll probably need a new headset. It could be a number of other things but usually replacing the headset will fix the problem.

Good luck.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Big L in NYC
    Your headset may just need to be adjusted/tightened.
    This VIDEO should help. If it doesn't help you'll probably need a new headset. It could be a number of other things but usually replacing the headset will fix the problem.

Good luck.
    Thanks for the link. I will try this later tonight.