mtbr member

Christmas came early-got a 07 SJ FSR Comp

Well, I finally broke down and bought myself a 07 SJ Comp at the largest Specialized dealer in Northern California-Mikes Bikes. Yes I am finally replacing my 04 SJ FSR, which was the only Specialized bike I have ever had any problems with. I also had the dealer swap out the shifters and both derailleurs for Shimano XT components: SL-M770 pod shifters, M772 shadow RD and FD M773. When I got the bike home I swapped out the OEM Truvalti Stylo cranks for my XT M760 and installed the new PD 50 pedals on the Shimano cranks. Next I installed my Thompsons seat post and stem along with my Easton handle bars and Obi grips.

The next morning I took the bike out on a ten mile ride and discovered that the rear brake was dragging and that the front rotor was warped. I also learned that the OEM Resolution Pro tires have very little lateral grip in light gravel. So when I got home I aligned the rear caliper, which fixed the rear brake problem then I installed my 2 year old Mavic Crossland wheel set with a 6 month old XT cassette and Armadillo Elite Fast Trak Pro tires. Unfortunately it has rained like cats and dogs since that day so I have not had a chance to test out the new modifications. I will need to go back to dealer to get the front rotor fixed as well.

The other thing I noticed about the rear Juicy 5 brake is that a squish sound emanates from the lever when it is compressed. Will this sound dissipate as the brake system wears in or is there air in the system?

The 07 Fox Float RL fork and the 07 Fox Triad seem a lot harsher over gravel than my 05 Fox Vanilla RLC and 05 Triad does. Next I will let air out of the fork and shock to allow more sag and a cushier ride.

Lastly, how does the OEM wheel set hold up? The DT Swiss X430 rims laced with 32 DT Swiss spokes on paper looks like good parts. The rear Shimano M525 hub may not be fancy but is very durable and the front stout hub seems to function well except for its quick release, which on my other bikes loosens up after about 3 month of riding.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    The wheelset isn't all that bad really. I swapped mine out after a few months to dt 4.2d's laced into dt 240's.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    bwalton

Great choice. I also picked up the same bike last Saturday in Sacramento. It was my Xmas present to myself and the price was too good to pass up

Fat Skis/Fat Tires
    I'm not sure how much you weigh, but I'm about 220lbs geared up and bent my X430 rear rim (2 flat spots, no longer holds true) within the first 100 miles on my SL.

I've since replaced it with a 5.1D and an XT hub (wanted a Hope Pro 2, but bike spending was starting to get out of control) that has been great, super stiff and about the same weight overall after swapping out the cassette.

The X430 on the front has been great and is still problem free.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    I replaced my wheels with xc717 on DT204s - as the stock wheels were pants, I kept breaking nipples and warping the wheels, the front skewer is useless.

mtbr member
    I weigh 215 pounds, which is why I ask the question about the Specialized wheel set on my 07 SJ.

My 04 SJ came equipped with Mavic X117 rims, no name stainless steel spokes, M525 rear hub and a Specialized Stout front hub. The rear rim was knocked out of true after my second ride and could never hold its alignment after my LBS adjusted it countless times. Within a few months the quick release on the front hub would not stay tight because the plastic axel bushing could not hold its form when compressed. So after a year of countless visits to my LBS for adjustments, I replaced the OEM wheel set with Mavic Crosslands, which have been problem free for over two years now.

On the other hand, the OEM wheel set that came on my 99 SJ FSR stayed true for over 4000 miles of riding. That wheel set was comprised of Mavic 221 rims, DT Swiss stainless steel spokes, a specialized stout front hub and a specialized rear hub. Again the front quick released loosened up after a few months and would not stay tight because of the plastic axel bushing.

I am not sure which wheel set will be more durable on my 07 SJ, the 2 year old Mavic Crosslands or the new OEM Specialized wheels with the DT Swiss rims and spokes.