mtbr member

Chris King and 07 Stumpy

Hey again, sorry for the repost. I wanted to ask everyone if they had installed a chris king headset into their 07 stumpy. One of my cups moves slightly once I re-center it. Is there a retro kit for the Secialized frames?

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    mine were fine..

mtbr member
    I think mine moved right after the install, but not since then...

mtbr member
    That's what mine did...interesting

I CAN ALWAYS GO BIGGER
    You are all going to ovalize your HT.Call Specialized about the correct size

mtbr member
    what are u basing this on

Unit 91
    Specialized uses a 34.0 headtube diameter for some reason, where I believe the standard is at 33.9. That mm difference sometimes can cause headtube problems because of slight movement. I ran a CK headset on a P.1 for a year with no problems. I recommend during the install of the bottom cup, putting some green lock-tite around there so everything seals up after time. Overall, you can get "special" cups from CK, but if you already have one installed, keep an eye on it and keep it tight.
    Bikes

mtbr member
    how high is the risk of ovelizing the headtube. Is there a top cup and bottom cup? I will call specialized tomorrow

Unit 91
    I dont believe the risk is that high, others may. I believe they may be a little loose on their tolerances on some frames that sneak out. I believe from Chris King, its the whole headset. It would be a "special" thing. You can reach Chris King at 800.523.6008.
    Bikes

mtbr member
    Wouldn't make sense for Specialized to not be able to use Chris King headsets. Probably nothing. I will call them tomorrow. Thanks for the help.

Trying a little
    oh yeah baby ... the magic of a king headset ... because anything else will damage your frame ...

I never apologize. I'm sorry, but that's just the way I am.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    King is a true american 1&1/8...33.9 metric.
    The question is why would an Asian manufacture who does everything metric use 33.9? They use a nice and easy 34.0. The really odd thing seems to be that there is a 50% chance your headset will be snug. If not your lbs can send it to king and they will swap the cups for about 20 bucks.
    Seen it also on fisher, trek, santacruz and almost every asian bike that uses a standard style headset.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the help smoking. After conversations with Chris King and Specialized, I will need an oversized headset due to the specialized head tube diameter. Grrr