mtbr member

Choice of 3 bikes

2010 Stumpjumper Elite
    2010 Epic expert
    2011 Stumpjumper comp

All three are available and are within $100 of each other. What is the best value of the three? Any opinions or suggestions are welcome. I am getting back into the sport after a long while off the MTB. I would be doing recreational riding and no racing.

mtbr member
    The obvious answer (as far as monetary value) would be the '10 Expert: components: avid CR sl, XO rear der., XT crank, RockShox SID, as opposed to the other bikes; however, it has the Fox Brain (which I love). Some people like no brain, which leaves the other bikes. If that's the case, the '11 Comp and the '10 Elite are very similar. The '11 comp is 10 speed, the elite is 9. The Comp has a RockShox Revelation, the Elite has the adjustable Talas.

The Epic will be lighter, but has less travel, 100mm front and back as opposed to 140mm. The Stumpy will have a more relaxed upright position, the Epic has a steeper head angle, putting you in a more aggressive riding position.

Any one will be a great bike

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    I brought 2010 stumpjumper elite at last december
    I don't have any problems. It's amazing bike!!
    Anyway, It depends what kind do you like ridings^^
    You have to think about it~~~~

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I have the '10 Epic Expert (white). No complaints here. Take em for a test ride. What kind of trail riding will you be doing? Lots of downhill? Crosscountry? I bet any of these will serve you well. Try the Epic. As already stated, some don't like the feel of the "brain"

mtbr member
    Most of my riding will be cross country with no aggressive riding or drops involved. I'm 56 so I will be riding recreational.

PVR
    Crash Test Dummy
    XC, no agressive riding or drops, I'd say go with the Epic if you like the Brain. I have a brain equipped Stumpjumper that I like a lot but the valving and feel of the Epic brain will be different.

Just Wanna Ride!
    Feb 2004
    I would pick up a Stumpjumper. Its a great all round trail bike and will be more versatile if you aren't looking for a race bike.

Check out an Stumpjumper Comp 29er. Great all rounder with a little less travel than the standard SJ so it's between the Epic and the regular SJ, but the big wheels roll over small trail chatter easier. Bottom line - it's a fun bike to ride!!