mtbr member

New question here. Chipped Paint a concern?

My Stumpjumper Comp Carbon 29er has a chip in the top tube. Is this going to get worse? Is this covered by the warranty? Should I be doing something about this?

This is my first carbon bike and I don't want it to get messed up. I'm not sure where this chip came from as nothing ever touches my bike in this spot...

Chipped Paint a concern?-img_20130609_094448%5B1%5D.jpg
    2012 Fianceť
    2011 Spc SJ Cmp Crbn 29
    2010 Fantom Cross Outlaw
    2009 Spc RH Exprt Disc 29
    2008 Trek Fuel EX7
    2007 Spc RH

Dirt Junkie
    I'm no expert, but that doesn't look like a problem. I would guess it has something to do with your rack though. Looks pretty close to the location of the strap.

Just a guess. If you're really concerned, ask the dealer.

Rock.
    How can anyone who's been riding as long as I have, be so slow???

mtbr member
    Just based on the spot where the chip is, it looks like the handlebars were turned around and the shifters chipped the paint. Like Rock said, you can ask the dealer about it. They also sell protective clear stickers that go in that location to prevent that very thing, for when you crash and the bars spin around.

mtbr member
    Thanks for your replies. Its actually on the bike rack in the picture. Those are rubber straps that grab the tube. They would not have done this. Also, on spinning the handlebars I don't think anything touches the tube either. The tube has a slight down angle to it. In fact I know it does not touch because if I don't strap the front tire in during travel, the bar will spin until the cables come taut.

I will take it in as advised. I'm not too worried about it in its present form, I just don't want it to grow.
    2012 Fianceť
    2011 Spc SJ Cmp Crbn 29
    2010 Fantom Cross Outlaw
    2009 Spc RH Exprt Disc 29
    2008 Trek Fuel EX7
    2007 Spc RH

mtbr member
    [QUOTE=dnoyeb;10460276]In fact I know it does not touch because if I don't strap the front tire in during travel, the bar will spin until the cables come taut.[QUOTE]

My guess is this is when it happened.

mtbr member
    I'd put some touch up paint on it and forget it. Keep an eye on it to see if the paint cracks, but it doesn't look to me like that chip got anywhere close to damaging the fibers. It's just a surface chip.

Marin rider
    One maybe odd sounding question and a few comments...

Question:
    1. Is this frame actually a carbon frame?

From the photo it appears what is under the paint is silver in color leading me to suspect that the frame is an alloy. That said, maybe what we are seeing is a chip in a clear coat and that the paint beneath the clear coat is exposed, less the carbon/resin frame.

Comments:
    1. I've learned through an issue pertaining to my Specialized bike's finish that the company offers a ONE YEAR warranty on the frames finish. The lifetime warranty covers structural issues of the frame. One can infer that if your Specialized bike has a finish issue and one is going to pursue it with the company, mind your time.
    2. I've also learned that amending a Specialized bike's finish outside of utilizing an Specialized approved re-finishing shop will likely VOID the frame's warranty. One can infer here that one should contact Specialized or document conversations with a licensed Specialized LBS and inquire how to rectify your issue.

Hope this information helps.

mtbr member
    That does not look like a carbon to me. But it should be fine.

In my experience, that will more than likely be classified as user derived damage, from any manufacturer. Sadly.

However, as others have pointed out, get in touch with your LBS and see what they have to say.

I eat cats
    I took a nasty spill last year and my bars turned and chipped my Stumpy Comp in that spot. I went to CVS with a close up pic of my paint color and bought some nail polish to coat it so it doesn't spread. My nails match my bike now too!

Marin rider
    Quote Originally Posted by OCtrailMonkey View Post
    ....My nails match my bike now too!