mtbr member
    Oct 2005

Changing rear shock on SJ?

Would there be enough room to mount a DHX Air on the stumpy frame? I'm wondering because i'd like to get a little more travel out of my bike and used a BETD link and the DHX or just the DHX with a longer i2i. I'll probably pick up a 7.875 x 2 shock. Just wondering if there is enough clearance to mount the new shock in.
    Thanks,
    Andy
    Salsa Dos Niner SS

mtbr member
    I wouldn't have thought that the remote reservior would fit anywhere on the Stumpy frame....
    Building: ​Boardman 2010 HT Pro
    Current Joy: '11 Giant Anthem X
    Previous Joy: '09 Commencal Meta 5 VIP

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    i think it would work if you mount it so that the is on the bottom
    Salsa Dos Niner SS

mtbr member
    I have an 04 100mm SJ and an 05 150mm Enduro w/the DHXA, off the top of my head I dont think theres anyway itll fit. Ill take a look after work today, but the float thats on the SJ now barely fits, I dont knwo what frame changes there were from the 04 100mm to the 05 130mm.

Ive had both shock off the DHXA feels about twice the weight.

wayne
    89 Univega HT -???-
    92 Specd SJ HT M2 -stolen-
    92 Specd SJ HT M2 -sold-
    94 Specd SJ HT M2 -sold-
    97 Klien Mantra -sold-
    01 Specd enduro FSR
    02 Specd enduro FSR -sold-
    04 Specd stumpjumper FSR
    05 Specd enduro FSR Sworks

Mud Boy
    Nov 2004

better travel, not more of it

What are you essentially trying to accomplish anyway? 5" travel, good travel, should be enough for most uses of the Stumpy. The problem IMHO lies with the $hitty Triad that came on your frame. If you use your Stumpy as an XC or light Freeride chassis, replace that Triad with either an RP3, or RP23. You can get a replacement RP23 for a Cannondale Rush, that is 7.5e2e x 1.75" stroke, that'll be an exact replacement for the Triad. The difference in the feel of the travel is stunning.

I'm sure the RP23 is way cheaper than the DHX air your talking about too. Considering how expensive the BETD link is, it might be a logical first step. You would be easily able to sell the RP23 if you still were not happy.

z71
    mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Thats what I did with the FRS XC Pro. I got rid of the crappy Triad and replaced it with a slightly longer Fox Float R with the internal pro pedal off a Cannodale Rush. I am running the BETD linkage also.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by magdaddy
    What are you essentially trying to accomplish anyway? 5" travel, good travel, should be enough for most uses of the Stumpy. The problem IMHO lies with the $hitty Triad that came on your frame. If you use your Stumpy as an XC or light Freeride chassis, replace that Triad with either an RP3, or RP23. You can get a replacement RP23 for a Cannondale Rush, that is 7.5e2e x 1.75" stroke, that'll be an exact replacement for the Triad. The difference in the feel of the travel is stunning.

I'm sure the RP23 is way cheaper than the DHX air your talking about too. Considering how expensive the BETD link is, it might be a logical first step. You would be easily able to sell the RP23 if you still were not happy.
    i was looking to beef up the frame a little more. i've been looking for an RP23 from the rush but the local shop hasn't been able to get me a price yet.
    Salsa Dos Niner SS