mtbr member
    Aug 2004

changing from a 100mm fork to a 140mm on a stumpy FSR?

Hi All, I have a stock 2004 stumpy fsr elite, with the manitou black elite 100mm fork. My friend has a new 08 fox float rlc 140mm fork that he would sell me very cheap. This fork is lighter and has more travel, but I am worried about really throwing off my bikes geo. and handling on tigher singletrack.

Thoughts?

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Running it at 140 will probably not be a good idea.
    I thought that you can use a spacer to reduce the travel, and then it will be a real nice upgrade.

Single-Track Monster
    Jan 2007
    It's going to have a more relaxed seating position and slower steering. Hell, if it's your friend...see if he'll let you mount it up and see if you like it! That way you'll know for sure.

Your bike will definitely handle differently, but who knows, you might like it...

mtbr member
    Jul 2003

Runnig a 140mm....

travel fork on a 100mm Stumpy will deffinately through off the handling to say the least. Not to mention the extra stress the added leverage of the longer fork would put on the head tube. Never a good idea. The bike was desinged around a 100 to 120mm travel fork, best to stay in that range. To keep your handling the same it's best to stick with the stock travel.

Fortunately the Fox Float can be set up to reduce the travel in 20mm increments through use of internal spacers. All you'd need to do is tear down the fork and install 2 spacers and reassemble and your Float would be a 100mm travel fork. The fork would still be lighter and stiffer than the Manitou, but you'd preserve your bikes current handling characteristics as well. So go ahead and buy the Float is you like. Then order up some spacers and go to it.

Good Dirt
    "I do whatever my Rice Cripsies tell me to!"

PMP,TAN,LAUNDRY
    I am in the process of switching my 120/30mm (130 with spacer removed) fork on my 06 stumpy to a 140. I will let you know how mine works out.
    Bender to AZDog: I'm not the best person to give advice on not riding!

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Thanks, I just read the owners manual online and read about the spacers. Looks like a go, thanks all!