Thread: Chain Suck!!!

mtbr member
    Jan 2005

Chain Suck!!!

I tested my newly acquired ''05 S-Works stumpy last weekend thru heqavy, heavy mud. She performed fantastically until I started experiencing chain suck! It had scraped off the paint and scratched the front part of the chainstay just behind the Crank as the chain sucked up into the chainstay as I pedalled. I realize that the mud could make the chain "sticky" and thus the chain suck but I was wondering if it could also have anything to do w/ my crank not quite being aligned to the chain line. Incidentally, I wiped out my bank account buying the frame and fork so I just transferred my '05 LX groupset on to the stumpy. Any advise for the stumpy gurus?

mtbr member
    On my SJ I had an issue of chain drop on my bottom bracket that was fixed fine tuneing the FD.

I did have a chain suk issue on my Enduro and no amount of fine tuneing seemed to help. Like you I think the chain/cahinring condition had more to do w/this phenomina. The only thing that helped was putting a zip tie on the drive side chainstay w/the knuckle positioned very close to the chainring. This more or less deflects the chain back down w/o getting sucked up between the rings and stays. Every few rides or so Id have to reposition the zip tie knuckle as it would get knocked out of place.

GL
    wayne
    89 Univega HT -???-
    92 Specd SJ HT M2 -stolen-
    92 Specd SJ HT M2 -sold-
    94 Specd SJ HT M2 -sold-
    97 Klien Mantra -sold-
    01 Specd enduro FSR
    02 Specd enduro FSR -sold-
    04 Specd stumpjumper FSR
    05 Specd enduro FSR Sworks

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by grnhrnt
    I tested my newly acquired ''05 S-Works stumpy last weekend thru heqavy, heavy mud. She performed fantastically until I started experiencing chain suck! It had scraped off the paint and scratched the front part of the chainstay just behind the Crank as the chain sucked up into the chainstay as I pedalled. I realize that the mud could make the chain "sticky" and thus the chain suck but I was wondering if it could also have anything to do w/ my crank not quite being aligned to the chain line. Incidentally, I wiped out my bank account buying the frame and fork so I just transferred my '05 LX groupset on to the stumpy. Any advise for the stumpy gurus?
    Are the rings & chain new? Chainsuck on my FSR is basically my bike telling me it's time to change the rings and chain. Cross-chaining will make it worse and there's always a chance the chain is catching on the next-larger chainring (especially with 9 speed)

Bad enough mud will cause chainsuck on any bike (except a singlespeed) so I ride my SS when the going gets truly awful.

ballbuster

There is your answer

Quote Originally Posted by grnhrnt
    ... heqavy, heavy mud.

That'll do it. Wecome to geared bikes.

The best way I found to combat chiansuck is to:

1) dump gobs of wet lube on the chain, like Finish Line Cross Country or Pedros Synlube.

2) shorten your chain as much as your shifting habbits can stand.

3) don't shift from big to middle, or middle to granny under load.

4) Don't shift into granny at all

5) keep that chain cleaned and lubed at all times. Never let it wear past the wear limit cause it will wear out your rings, and cause chainsuck

6) replace worn rings. Steel rings take much longer to wear out, so they work well for granny gear. Of course, they weigh a ton.

Don't bother with anti-chainsuck plates. They only tear up the chain and frame, and it will get wedged in there anyway. It will only be harder to remove. Just learn to feel for when it starts to happen and backpedal.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    I'm demo-ing a epic comp right now and it's great, EXCEPT for the chain suck I couldn't even get into granny.....Could it be the LX front? Sounds as though most of you are pointing towards the chain itself. I think that's highly probable