Pex
    mtbr member

Chain stay lenght of 2014 Epic and Stumpy FSR

I was just looking at the geometry of the Enduro 29er and couldn't believe that the chain stay was 430mm (2013 Epic is 447mm; 2013 Stumpy 29 is 450mm). I don't claim to be an expert, but, everything I've read suggests that shorter chain stay = better handling. Do you think it is likely that the 2014 Epic will have a shorter chain stay?
    2010 Trek Fuel EX 6

There's always next year.
    I type the following as somebody who knows just enough to be dangerous, so take it with a grain of salt.

That's been the rumored possibility, but everything I've read and rode seems to state that chain stay length is just one variable in the equation of "great riding" frames. Will be interested to see what happens.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Shorter isn't necessarily better, depending on how you ride and what the purpose of the bike is. A shorter chainstay makes it easier to manual, and it usually equates to a shorter wheelbase, which quickens handling. On the other hand, longer chainstays might provide better climbing by keeping the front end down and increasing traction, and might also provide better overall stability. So shorter chainstays might help make a Stumpy FSR a more tossable and fun trail bike, but it might not make as much sense on an Epic, since it's primarily an XC race bike.

mtbr member
    The Stumpy FSR 29 screams for a shorter chainstay imho...

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Why is the chain stay length the same between all sizes? The chainstay to bike factor increases for me whois riding an XL

mtbr member
    Now that Specialized hyped the !"§$ out of the super short chainstays, they need to deliver on their shorter travel 29ers.
    Regardless if it makes sense on the Epic and Stumpjumper or not.

Who would buy a 450mm chainstay Stumpjumper 29er when the 26" version has 420mm stays - even in XL size...

I bet that my Stumpjumper FSR 29er would ride nicer if it had 430mm stays. It probably wouldn´t offer that terrific climbing experience with no front end wandering any longer though.