mtbr member
    Jan 2011

Chain retention w/ removing bash and dangler. SJ fsr

I have a 13 fsr comp. hate the noise the dangler makes while pedaling and never really need the bash. So I plan to remove them for a quiter drivetrain and weight loss. Anybody else remove theses parts? And is your chain retention still good?

mtbr member
    You'll still need to keep the chain tight if you remove the tensioner. Look into a WolfTooth chainring. I assume you have a X9 type 2 RD on your bike.

I use a WolfTooth and SRAM X9 type 2 RD on my Anthem and haven't had a drop yet after 150miles.

The 22T on my Stumpy is staying put as I need it for climbs.
    2013 Stumpjumper FSR Comp 29
    2012 Giant Anthem x2

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    I do have a type 2 RD, i just feel like the dangler is an add-on. I didnt have any issues without it when I had my camber. Also was wondering if the bash ring actually aids in chain retention.

Soon enough I'll be switching to 1x10 but just curious with this issue for now.

mtbr member
    I know a lot have people who have removed the dangler with no issues. Not really needed with the type 2 RD.
    2013 Stumpy Evo
    2014 Fatboy

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by ardmoregeorge View Post
    I do have a type 2 RD, i just feel like the dangler is an add-on. I didnt have any issues without it when I had my camber. Also was wondering if the bash ring actually aids in chain retention.

Soon enough I'll be switching to 1x10 but just curious with this issue for now.
    Let me know if you want to sell the dangler set up.

mtbr member
    You tend to lose the chain off the top of the big ring without the bash guard. My wife doesn't run the dangler on her 29 fsr stumpy and has no issues.

I had mine off of my evo for a while but went back with it after some other issues.

You can't really shorten the chain anymore than it already is with the dangler. These new clutch derailers just can't take up the chain growth/shrink like the non-clutch did. You wont be able to run the granny with anything lower than maybe the fourth gear down in the cassette. No big deal but it bothers me.
    "I'm the fastest of the slow guys"

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Funny you mention that. Just changed my wheelset last night and went adjust my rear mech. Running through all the gears and realized the lowest gears aren't possible. Oh well. I never use the lowest 3 anyway, and plan on x01 in the future.