mtbr member
    Jan 2011

Chain Guide Help

I recently converted my 2010 Carbon Stumpy Expert to a 1x9, however I am having a lot of trouble finding a chain guide that fits on to the bottom bracket of the bike. I have just been using the front derailleur as a makeshift (no pun intended) chain guide. I have found only a couple models that will work. Can anyone provide any insight on a set up they have found to be successful?

Thanks!

mtbr member
    MRP 1.X guide or E13 XCX are 1x BB mounted chainguides. do a google search for more info, they're around $40.
    nothing witty here...

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Since you have an OSBB frame, no BB mount chainguide will work (correctly).

e*13 has one that should be available soon that mounts to the same spot your front derailleur does (did).

I think Specialized may make available a similar guide which comes stock on 2011 Epic and Stumpy EVO models.

e*13 guide (DMD mount version not pictured, but call them and ask about availability).

Specialized version "XC DMD chain guide"

Those are the only options I know of.

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    you could do something like this -

2010 S-Works Epic 1x10

mtbr member

mtbr member

mtbr member

eBiker
    Quote Originally Posted by zippy895
    Nicely done

P

mtbr member
    Jan 2011

to zippy895

That chain guide looks great. Did you make the mounting bracket for the MRP guide? Or is the whole guide made by MRP? What bike is that on?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by griff180
    That chain guide looks great. Did you make the mounting bracket for the MRP guide? Or is the whole guide made by MRP? What bike is that on?
    its on a 2011 evo 29r epic.bike comes with a tiny e13 guide that derailed the chain too many times ,so i picked up some 90 degree aluminum at a hardware store and used 1 90 angle to modify an mrp to the e13 frame.bracket. i could of made it w/ out the e13 frame bracket w/ another 90 degree aluminum .just didnt for now.

Former Ninja
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by zippy895
    its on a 2011 evo 29r epic.bike comes with a tiny e13 guide that derailed the chain too many times ,so i picked up some 90 degree aluminum at a hardware store and used 1 90 angle to modify an mrp to the e13 frame.bracket. i could of made it w/ out the e13 frame bracket w/ another 90 degree aluminum .just didnt for now.
    That little guy is actually Specializeds DMD 1x10 guide. http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bc/...cname=Mountain

We're working on our XCX.E-type that should mount right up to any frame utilizing the Sram S3 "etype" standard. ETA is a month or two.

Cheers!

mtbr member
    I have a '10 Stumpy Expert carbon with the e*thirteen XCX-ST (clamps to the seat tube) because of the pressfit BB. I haven't had a chance to really put it through it paces. It looks really nice but I wish it had just a tad more adjustment. Up and down you've got all the adjustment you could ever need; you can move the clamp on the seat tube and the cage on the XCX for up/down adjustment. Left/right adjustment for chainline was a challenge on my bike. No matter what I still get some rub in my biggest cog.

I ordered the XCX because I figured it would be very plug and play since the '11 Stumpy EVO R is spec'd with it. I wonder if one of the frame tweaks or the single speed specific crank used made for a chainline that the XCX is better with. I'm not sure it's ideal with the crank/frame I'm using (and the OP was asking about) but maybe some rub is just inherent in the chainguide idea.
    Last edited by htfu_aaron; 01-27-2011 at 10:20 AM.
    http://htfuaaron.blogspot.com
    2012 Niner Air 9 SS
    2011 Crux
    2012 Crux SS