mtbr member
    Jul 2010

Chain guide for and Epic Carbon.

Want to convert to a 1x9 set-up but I can't find a chainguide for the front as I can't find a chain guide that will fit the BB91. Anyone has any ideas.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I just converted my epic comp 29er, which I believe has the same style front der mount. I bent a piece of aluminum into a U shape and bolted it to the derailure mount, and it has kept the chain on for a few rides so far...

I heard that MRP is coming out with a mount like the one that comes on the Evo R..

mtbr member
    MRP DMD mount for the epic is still in pre-production. so at least a couple months?

Specialized says 3-4 months before they will have any surplus of their 1x9 EVO R chainguides.

so, custom fab'd guides will have to do for now.
    F. B. I.

Former Ninja
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Firemedix911
    Want to convert to a 1x9 set-up but I can't find a chainguide for the front as I can't find a chain guide that will fit the BB91. Anyone has any ideas.
    Medix,
    We're coming out with our new line of XCX.ST guides (seat tube mount), as well as an E-type mount XCX. We're expecting the guides in the next week or two...and distributors to be up to speed by Dec 1st.

I also wanted to make some clarifications in case you need other bits for your rig down the road. Specialized is running PressFit 30 for bottom brackets, whereas BB92 is the Shimano MTB standard for 73mm BB shells, and BB95 is the slightly different Trek version.

Another battle of the standards is between the Sram S3 (a.k.a. frame mounted e-type, DMD...what you've got) and the Shimano Direct Mount FD (characterized by a slotted block in your seat tube). We've got the XCX.Etype on the way, and the DirectMount version a tad bit farther down the road (rough translation: springtime).

Oh, and the E-type can be seen over at Sicklines (first picture, on bottom):
    http://www.sicklines.com/2010/10/20/...uide-and-more/

Cheers,
    philip @ theHive/e*thirteen

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Perfect. Thanks a lot guys. I can wait a little bit till the product comes out. Again thanks as well kahiwa.