Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Which chain do I buy?

844 views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  rustyenduro 
#1 · (Edited)
I own a 2002 Stumpjumper FSR Comp and it's time to start replacing some of my components. I can't remember which size my bike is (I think it's a M or maybe a LG), is there a way to check the size of my bike (like a stamp or sticker).

I've noticed my chain slipping quite a bit over the last year or so. Well I think it's time to replace the chain. Now my question is what type of chain do I buy?

Would one of these work?

Shimano HG-93 9SP Chain

Sram PC-991 9SP Chain

Also I think of replacing my crankset and cassette. Is there a certain size that I would have to buy.

Thanks for the help! :thumbsup:

#3 ·
Most likely your chainrings and cogs are so worn, too, that they will not work right with a new chain.

I am a fan of Shimano cranks/BB's, the current Hollowtech 2 variety at least. LX and XT are very good and they fit both 68 and 73 mm wide BB shells.

Is your current cassette 8 or 9 speed?

Looks like you get what you pay for, even with chains. I've been using Shimano chains because that is what the LBS has. XTR/Dura-Ace level chains are my favorites but they are seldom cheap: less stretch, shift great, easy to clean.

#4 ·
Thanks for the response! My current cassette is a 9 speed. I'm going to be slowly replace most of my components over the next couple of months. My Frame and shocks are still in good shape, but rest will need an overhaul.

My first priority is the Drive System. Chain, Cogs, Chainrings, etc... My crankarm is still is good shape.

Next will be the derailers. I will also will switching out my brake system over to disk brakes.

Any help or suggestions are very much appreciated!

#5 ·
OK, 9 speed is the current standard so compatible parts are plentiful.

So you need a rear cassette. Any 9 speed cassette should work. I am no expert but there are differences in quality and weight.

Chainrings: you need a set that has a bolt pattern that matches your cranks. What brand are your cranks and how many bolts do they have?

Chains: SRAM chains come with a special link that allows easy removal of the chain (for thorough cleaning, for example). Those links will also work with other brands' chains, as long as you have a 9 speed chain.

When you switch the derailers, also put on new cables and outers.

Do your hubs, frame and fork have attachments for disc brakes?

#6 ·
As far as the chains, I'd probably go with what is cheapest and replace the chain more often. My LBS owners prefer shimano chains as they told me they shift better. I personally have no preference.

It's up to you on what you can afford for the cassette and the chain rings, I bet your LBS can recommend the best bang for the buck.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.