Thread: Carve vs Stumpy

mtbr member

Carve vs Stumpy

What am I missing? Looking at 29ers and other then the specs on different models, what is main difference(s) between the alu version of the Carve and stumpy?

Thanks.
    "Like" the Brewery Ommegang facebook team page

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Team-...18356588347806

Team Fainting Goats
    Jun 2011
    I have both a 2012 Carve Expert and a 2012 Stumpjumper Comp 29. The Carve is much easier to ride due to the front end having a bit more slack, but it is also much slower when turning. The Stumpy is a race bike. First time out on my Stumpy I went over my bars twice, because I was trying to ride it like the Carve. The Stumpy turns much quicker, and has a much stiffer ride. If you plan on racing, you can't go wrong with the Stumpy, but if you just want to enjoy the ride, stick to the Carve.

The 2013 Carves dropped close to 3 lbs from the 2012; that is one hell of a diet! The Specs have also been upgraded. The Expert now comes with a Reba fork, and the Pro with a Fox.

Either way, both are great bikes.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Just bought a Carve expert 2013. As they did not yet have one in stock, they gave me a 2012 Stumpy Comp for rent for 4 days to try, and would apply the rent credit to a new purchase.

Barrjesu is right, the Stumpy is more racy, slightly more bent over (minimal) and does indeed turn easier and lighter, and i went for the 2013 carve as it was also lighter then the 2012, for me personally, an easier seating position stock (i guess you can allways buy stuff to adjust) and softer.

what the LBS told me also, is that the carve use the alloy of the previous generation Stumpy, wheras the current stumpy uses a 5 series alloy. I have no clue what that means in practice.

Carve is basically a budget stumpy, a bit more comfortable, and i love mine.

mtbr member
    Ok great. Looking at the specs and dimensions, what you guys said is what I thought I was seeing but I wanted to make sure. I did see the weight difference, which is pretty significant but I've also seen some really great reviews of the Carve too. Looking at a 2011 stumpy 29er b/c of the money aspect but kept seeing the Carve and wondering if I should be looking at that instead.

Thanks a lot for the info.

Any idea if the 2011 Stumpy is fast and agile handling like the 2012? Is it basically the same bike?

Trail Rider
    Jun 2009
    There isn't even a significant weight difference between the 2013 Carves and Stumpys. My 2013 Carve Expert weighed 25.7 lbs stock vs a Stumpy Comp HT at 25 lbs flat. After a seat change(added Phenom Gel) and a set of Stans Flow EXs run tubelessly, my Carve dropped down to 24.25 lbs.

I sweated the Carve vs Stumpjumper decision myself. I know the Stumpy is a racier, stiffer, and lighter bike, but also more compliant in the seatstays. I wanted to buy a bike for bikepacking, which meant that it would be loaded with camping gear and ridden for hours on hours. I needed comfort. The Carve leant itself to more compliant seatstays than the Hardrock(which I have) or Rockhopper lines and also had a more relaxed geometry.

Basically, the answer became obvious that the Carve was the bike that I needed. The slightly weight difference was nullified quickly with a wheel change that likely helped stiffen the bike up substantially as well.

If I were a racer(and I'm not), the Stumpjumper would have been the obvious answer. I still drool over them, just doesn't fit into my riding as well as the Carve.

mtbr member
    M4 vs M5 frame. There is some weight savings there and probably flex. Components are not the same either and I bet the frame topography is different also. I loved my 11 Stumpy Comp 29er, best thing since sliced bread as compared to my 08 Rock hopper 29er. Just purchased a Camper Comp 29er and now I am in a new world altogether. Have not had many rides on it due to job but it is certainly a jump up in handling and ride.So smooth, and the rear wheel stays planted no matter how big a rock I roll over. Only complain, weight. Damn it's heavy. Time for a diet.
    2013 Specialized Carbon Camber Pro 29er (Warranty frame and other stuff)
    2011 Specialized Stumpjumper Comp 29er

Trail Rider
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by sgtjim57 View Post
    M4 vs M5 frame.. .Components are not the same either and I bet the frame topography is different also...
    Not as much a you'd think. Check the components of the Carve Pro vs the Stumpjumper Comp.

The Carve isn't a Rockhopper(albeit its closest relative) even the geo is slightly different.

mtbr member
    I think the Carve is the new Rockhopper (M4 frameset) and the RockHopper is the new Hardrock. Sure, some of the components are the same but in order to maintain prices Specialized must cut costs somewhere. My Stumpy weights 24 lbs but it is a small so that does make a difference. It rides great, fast, light and nimble. I saw a kid on a Carve on a local trail and really liked the paint sceme. Not sure what fork it had but it did have remote lockout. My Stumpy did not have this option and I think they are the same price.
    2013 Specialized Carbon Camber Pro 29er (Warranty frame and other stuff)
    2011 Specialized Stumpjumper Comp 29er

mtbr member
    Alloy (m4 vs m5). Then also tubing shapes, and design. The carve will be a more comfortable ride, versus the slightly lighter, stiffer and definitely harsher sj.

On top of that, there will be component choice differences to meet price points, but not sure on that, as location will affect that and models offered.

Trail Rider
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by sgtjim57 View Post
    I think the Carve is the new Rockhopper (M4 frameset) and the RockHopper is the new Hardrock. Sure, some of the components are the same but in order to maintain prices Specialized must cut costs somewhere. My Stumpy weights 24 lbs but it is a small so that does make a difference. It rides great, fast, light and nimble. I saw a kid on a Carve on a local trail and really liked the paint sceme. Not sure what fork it had but it did have remote lockout. My Stumpy did not have this option and I think they are the same price.
    The Hardrock is the new Hardrock, the Carve is a bridge model between the recreational models(Hardrocks and Rockhoppers) and the full on race HTs(Stumpjumpers).

The Rockhopper is the new Rockhopper It reverted back to the A1 frame that it came with a couple years ago, but the geo and part specs are largely the same. There was a few years that it came with a M4 frame, people should just consider those the golden years of the Rockhopper.

The Carve fits between the Rockhopper and Stumpjumper in geometry and available component specs starting at above Rockhopper Pro specs and ending at very near Stumpjumper grade.

Where did they cut costs? Bar, seatpost, maybe stem, brakes... The drivetrains and front shocks are largely equivelant(XO/X7/Sram 2x10/Reba vs XT/X7/Sram 2x10/Fox) between the Comp HT model SJs and the Pro Carves. They didn't have to do much, the Carve Pro is 2000 when the Comp HT is what 2100-2200?

The Carve is for people who don't want to comprimise on components and don't need the harsh ride of a full on race bike.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the responses and information.

mtbr member
    I'm trying to decide between the stump evo and the carve pro. Downfall now is I'm thinking if I spend that much money do I switch from specialized to another brands fs for same price?? I'm in OK so mostly xc here but never know when that am day will come.