mtbr member
    Nov 2012

Carve SL BB Slip??

Hey All-

I have a '13 Carve SL that I have LOVED. Great bike. I actually ride it more than my '13 Epic Expert (and yes, it was a good year for my garage).

My question is this... I notice after most rides that my chain is a decent bit more slack than when I left. Im using the stock chain and 32t ring up front. I swapped to a 16t or 17t cog for riding in my area. I pulled the EBB out and cleaned it up according to what Specialized recommends, and then torqued it back down to specs. Anyone else experiencing this? Im new to SS, so any and all advice is welcome.

Thanks in advance.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Mine does the same (and so does everyone else's I know that has one ) I just tighten it when required but it is a nuisance

mtbr member
    sandbox,

I have been riding mine for 8 months now with no significant issues other than some creaking noises from the BB. The noises were quickly remedied with a proper cleaning, ebb coated with oatey's plumber grease and re-torqued to spec. My EBB has never slipped-

Some guys use carbo prep on there Niner EBBs. Personally, I use Oateys on my Niner EBBs (gen 1 & 2) and torque to spec with no issues. Thats what gave me the idea to use Oateys on my Carve. Good Luck!

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Oatleys is a good idea- thanks!! And I basically had carbon paste in there with the Florida sand. Obviously Im somewhat kidding, but I'll throw some in there. Racing it Sunday, so I dont want any 'slack.'

Is this a normal problem with EBB's or specific to the Carve? I only ask because Im giving serious thought to the Stumpy SS for '14.

mtbr member
    Most of the complaints regarding slippage from what I have gleamed from the Single Speed forums and personal experience... the Niner EBBs has had some issues with slippage mostly because they were not following Niner's recommendations including myself. Once I used the Oatleys and torqued to proper spec my EBBs were fine and never had a issue with the Carve EBB. Do you coat your bolt threads with grease or blue loctite?

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by dfp23 View Post
    Most of the complaints regarding slippage from what I have gleamed from the Single Speed forums and personal experience... the Niner EBBs has had some issues with slippage mostly because they were not following Niner's recommendations including myself. Once I used the Oatleys and torqued to proper spec my EBBs were fine and never had a issue with the Carve EBB. Do you coat your bolt threads with grease or blue loctite?
    I used grease on the bolts. Yeah or Nah?

mtbr member
    If grease isn't working for you try blue loctite...

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Check. Thanks. Off to Home Depot for Oatleys.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I'm planning on a 14 SJ SS build.
    MCH Co-Captain

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I am also. This was my 1st jump into the SS world. Im hooked and ready for carbon. This bike will probably get sold in the next couple months.

Interestingly enough, the complete Stumpy SS is not on the Specialized website as of now. Weird.