Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Carve Sizing

CS2
    mtbr member

Carve Sizing

I found an excellent deal on a Carve Comp. It's a 19" which is usually a size bigger than I use. Before I commit to look or buy how true to size do these run?
    1982, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1986, 1992 Stumpjumpers. 1995 Waterford 1200, 1999 Waterford RSE, plus a garage full of steel frames.

mtbr member
    That is a "large" frame. What size are you? I am 6'4" with a 38" inseam and I love my "XXL" or 23" frame. I would say get on it and see how it feels. I was riding a 19" 26er for my last bike but I got tired of super tall seat post and riser bars on a under sized frame. My son is 14y and I just bought him a 21" RH Comp and it fits him fine at 6'2".

Mark
    2012 XXL Carve Expert

CS2
    mtbr member
    No where near that tall. I'm about 5' 9" with longish, 32" inseam.
    1982, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1986, 1992 Stumpjumpers. 1995 Waterford 1200, 1999 Waterford RSE, plus a garage full of steel frames.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    I'm 5'10" with a 31" inseam. The, um, boys are pretty much resting on the top tube on a size large, so I went with a size medium and a longer stem. No way I'd feel safe riding a size large.

I could have gotten a sweet deal on a Stump Comp HT if I could have fit the large, but it would not have been safe on anything other than rail trails.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    What top tube measurement do you prefer? My 17.5'' is a little large for me in standover height but when do you fall straight legged on level ground over the top tube? Don't get stuck on a bike that is too short in the top tube. If the carve geometry doesn't work for you in a size that makes sense, take a look at niner.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CS2 View Post
    No where near that tall. I'm about 5' 9" with longish, 32" inseam.
    I too have a 32" inseam and ride a medium Carve and a medium Niner Air9. The top tube lengths are within 4mm of each other but the Air9 has more standover clearance. The large frame from either company would not provide you with enough standover on uneven terrain. I know this from experience, my first Air9 was a great deal on a large frame

mtbr member
    The 19" is too big, and I think you'll probably be too stretched out on it. My girlfriend has a 17.5 Carve and, at 5' 11.5", it's a good size for me.
    '12 S-Works Stumpjumper carbon HT
    '13 Specialized Carve Comp
    '94 S-Works M2

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Looking at getting a 2013 Carve Expert. Im about 5'10" and inseam of ~32.5"
    So it seems I between a Medium and Large.

Spent some time at the LBS and they steered me towards a Large. New to the MTB geometry so not sure what I should be feeling. I currently have a Crosstrail Sport Disc in a large and threw some 2.2" tires on it last year. Obviously this bike will feel more relaxed.

Just feel like I'm reaching forward on the Large Carve. Had the LBS throw me on a trainer and he confirmed I was in the correct geometry with 90 degree rule, etc.

Anyone else have experience with being in between sizes? Advice with this bike in particular? Hard part is this will be my first real MTB.

mtbr member

Carve Sizing

5' 10" 30/31" inseam.

Rode a HR Med for 2 years before buying a 2013 Carve. I went with Large, and I prefer the Large.

But, I'm a trail rider on this bike, so no problems so far.

Looking at a Camber, and will probably go Medium...

mudhen
    "Lighten up Francis" Sgt. Hulka

mtbr member
    At 5'10" with a 32" inseam, I too am a tweener on most Specialized mountain bikes. But the Carves longer top tube (TT=603mm) allows me to ride a Medium frame with a Thomson setback seatpost and a 90mm stem. I also ride a large 2013 Epic carbon comp (TT=615mm) with a setback seatpost and a 80mm stem. Each bike has proper standover clearance for my 32" inseam...

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Thanks. Rode some larges and still have enough clearance. May end up to small with a medium.
    Excited to get the bike. Stuck between the Expert and the Pro.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Went back to the same LBS. Rode a medium and felt more comfortable. Ended up with a decent free sizing since they were pitching me towards the large.
    Turns out the large was over and inch to long of a reach. Seems like a fitting would be worth it for anyone unsure.
    My medium Carve pro will be in next week.

mtbr member
    Nice! Once your new bike arrives, have the shop convert the wheels to tubless. This is a must on hardtails and will allow you to run lower pressure for max traction and bump compliance.

When you are ready to upgrade (second to fit), start with the wheels. I dropped over a pound of rotational weight by upgrading to Stans wheels. My seatpost, saddle, and stem were changed out during my bike fit. Enjoy!!!

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I also have a sizing issue with the carve expert...

Just purchased a 2013 carve expert last week in a size 17.5. It is my first 29'er, and I wasn't able to test one offroad before buying, so I had to settle with a trip around the block...

I am having a little buyers remorse right now wondering whether I should have gone for the smaller size (15.5.)....?

I am 175 cm (5'9") and have a relatively long torso/neck but somewhat short legs (31 or 32 inch inseam), which unfortunately means that my crotch rests slightly on the top tube when standing over the bike. On the other hand, with relatively short arms as well, I sort of appreciate that the larger size means not having to hunch over too much when riding. Most sizing guides I have tried online put me somewhere between a 16.5 and an 18.5 frame and the specialized sizing chart has me in the middle of the height range for the 17.5 frame (170-178 cm), so if that serves for measure, I should be allright.

The guy in the shop said I could ride both small and medium but recommended the 17,5. After trying it it felt pretty good so I assumed the size was right and took it home. Upon arriving home with the bike I started to doubt whether it feels to big for me, and whether I should take it back and trade in for a smaller size... On the other hand, it might also just be the difference between my usual 26 and the 29'er that is playing tricks on me.

Does a 15.5 sound too small for me? Hope you guys can help me! It kills me to think I might have gotten too large a bike!
    Last edited by DavidDK; 03-24-2013 at 08:48 AM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    For the money being spent, see if some LBS has a professional sizing. They talked me into a large and even ordered it in. I was still skeptical so had them do a sizing. Turned out I was right, Medium was correct.
    Fit gave me a cockpit length which te large was inches to long. Didn't want to be too stretched out.

mtbr member
    When in doubt, I always choose the smaller size. Before I bought the carbon S-Works HT, I was considering a carbon Epic. According to Specialized, I am in between sizes (5', 11.5" with a 34" inseam and long torso). When I called the Big S, the rep said to go with the large one, a recommendation that a local S-Works shop recommended, too. I measured the ETT lengths of my now-sold Trek Top Fuel, my old S-Works M2, my girlfriend's Carve, a medium Epic and a large Epic to make sure I was making a good choice.

I "test rode" a large and medium Epic at a local school and could tell a difference in handling between both (the large handled terribly while the medium felt good). I did a true trail test of the large and absolutely hated how it handled. Not sure if it was too big for me and I wasn't putting enough weight over the front wheel.

For the carbon HT, I am also a tweener and went with a medium (17.5" frame). I took my buddy's large carbon Specialized HT on a ride and knew that a medium was the right one for me. I have zero regrets with the medium.
    '12 S-Works Stumpjumper carbon HT
    '13 Specialized Carve Comp
    '94 S-Works M2

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Just curious folks on how high your posts are for climbing? If your post is near the max the bike is too small.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Thanks for the input!

Just went to the Specialized Concept Store for a second opinion and they said that they would recommend a small for me.

The difference between the two frames was actually smaller than one might think, but the guy in the store said that for more for casual riding he would normally say the medium was an option for me, and that in my case I could go with either. Since I plan on riding it quite agressively, however he told me he would recommend for the small. The funny thing is that Specialized recommends the medium to riders between 170 and 178 cm. Apparently, the guy said, this can be very misleading since leg/arm/torso length means a lot when fitting.

Here are the specifics:

For me the seatpost setting on the small bike is approx. one cm below the riveted max line which apparently is fine. This puts the top of the seat pretty much exactly on level with the top of the handlebars, i.e. a good (but agressive) riding position.

For the medium bike, the seat is a lot lower, and the top of the seat is somewhat lower than the handlebars, which I was told would put too little weight on the front wheel when cornering leading to worse traction and slipping in turns.

In terms of reach I thought the small was comfortable when riding, whereas the medium was somewhat stretched. This I assume is due to the fact that I have quite short arms.

To me the deciding factor however, is that the standover clearance was good on the small bike and non-existant on the medium. For single track riding, the guy in the store told me that some clearance was important, since I would be compromising maneuverablity and in the event of a fall, I would be jeopardizing the crown jewels!

Luckily the store I bought it in (not Specialized) said they would trade it for a 15.5 (small), although they (not surprisingly) said that although I could ride both, I was better off on the medium... Haha. Think I will trade it in tomorrow.

Advice to others: rent the first 29'er you are about to buy and try it for a day before buying. The sizes can be misleading compared to 26 inch bikes...

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidDK View Post
    Thanks for the input!

Just went to the Specialized Concept Store for a second opinion and they said that they would recommend a small for me.

The difference between the two frames was actually smaller than one might think, but the guy in the store said that for more for casual riding he would normally say the medium was an option for me, and that in my case I could go with either. Since I plan on riding it quite agressively, however he told me he would recommend for the small. The funny thing is that Specialized recommends the medium to riders between 170 and 178 cm. Apparently, the guy said, this can be very misleading since leg/arm/torso length means a lot when fitting.

Here are the specifics:

For me the seatpost setting on the small bike is approx. one cm below the riveted max line which apparently is fine. This puts the top of the seat pretty much exactly on level with the top of the handlebars, i.e. a good (but agressive) riding position.

For the medium bike, the seat is a lot lower, and the top of the seat is somewhat lower than the handlebars, which I was told would put too little weight on the front wheel when cornering leading to worse traction and slipping in turns.

In terms of reach I thought the small was comfortable when riding, whereas the medium was somewhat stretched. This I assume is due to the fact that I have quite short arms.

To me the deciding factor however, is that the standover clearance was good on the small bike and non-existant on the medium. For single track riding, the guy in the store told me that some clearance was important, since I would be compromising maneuverablity and in the event of a fall, I would be jeopardizing the crown jewels!

Luckily the store I bought it in (not Specialized) said they would trade it for a 15.5 (small), although they (not surprisingly) said that although I could ride both, I was better off on the medium... Haha. Think I will trade it in tomorrow.

Advice to others: rent the first 29'er you are about to buy and try it for a day before buying. The sizes can be misleading compared to 26 inch bikes...
    Dam that is a super high seatpost if you go with the small frame. Have the shop fit you on a medium with a smaller stem and zero setback seatpost before you make the purchase. See if they have a demo bike in both size you can take on the trail, before purchasing. You will regret the smaller frame in time.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Oops, double post, see edit below..

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by stumpynerd View Post
    Dam that is a super high seatpost if you go with the small frame. Have the shop fit you on a medium with a smaller stem and zero setback seatpost before you make the purchase. See if they have a demo bike in both size you can take on the trail, before purchasing. You will regret the smaller frame in time.

What about the standover clearance?

I'm thinking that I could also go with a larger/higher stem for the small bike to make the riding position a bit less agressive. I still am lower than the recommended max for the seatpost, so that part should not be an issue as long as my positioning is not too steep...

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    The only way to tell a bike is right for you is to demo one. Before you lay down several g's on a bike ask the shop for a demo bike. Test it on your local trail make sure its the right size then go for the purchase. If your post is near the max for climbing then the frame is too small. As for standover height how many inches of clearance do you have between the frame and your nads for the medium?

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    The only way to tell a bike is right for you is to demo one. Before you lay down several g's on a bike ask the shop for a demo bike. Test it on your local trail make sure its the right size then go for the purchase. If your post is near the max for climbing then the frame is too small. As for standover height how many inches of clearance do you have between the frame and your nads for the medium?
    I agree, that would be the ideal scenario. I can ask them for that option tomorrow, and see if they'll let me (I would have to return the bike and come back for repurchase I guess).

With regards to the seatpost, the guy in the Specialized store said the seatpost position looked too low on the medium. On the smaller frame the seatpost was high as you say, but it was still pretty safely in the intended range. The way I see it, the smaller frame puts me further over the front wheel giving me more leverage and power when standing up on climbs right..?

As far as clearance there is basically none on the medium. I am not sitting on the top tube, but my nuts are touching it even when I am standing all the way to the back and with my legs completely straight.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    If there is no stand over clearance, a small frame would be better. But make sure to demo both sizes on the trail. You will sleep better after the know you purchased the right size

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    If there is no stand over clearance, a small frame would be better. But make sure to demo both sizes on the trail. You will sleep better after the know you purchased the right size
    Most def.! I am mostly worried about the standover clearance.

I think I will have struck a good riding position on the small bike with a longer stem to make the reach and torso angle just right, while being adequately positioned over the front wheel. This would balance out some comfort with performance.

But even with the 15.5 bike, I think you're right it would be best to put it to a real test before making up my mind!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast