mtbr member

Carve Problem - anyone else

I purchased a '13 carve comp at the LBS. They did the customary tune up and check over before departing the store. First ride that night, I can't spin the pedals backwards as it causing derailleur to hang up... As I'm ride through some bumpy stuff, and try to position my feet better with about 1/4 spin backward, the chain stops and then jumps off the crank. First time in 20 years of MTB ever had one do that.... Cut ride short, went back to LBS next day. "Oh yeah, the front der. needs adjusting"... after a few "You're good to go" Next ride was a longer trail, part way I am suffering same symptoms with the rear derailleur hanging up. I fiddle with the barrel connectors and get finished. I see a guy with same bike and ask if he has had any issues. Points to his rear derailleur, except it's gone - he broke it off. Said his had the same problems as mine. Would take in constantly to have the bike tuned and finally it broke. I took mine back in and got a 3rd tech Said the hanger is bent. Again, never an issue in 20 years with a handful of bikes to have a bent hanger, especially brand new. Worries me someone else had similar so I ask all you guys - Anyone have a problem with the Carve and the x7 rear derailleur? Suggestions?

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Check the plastic chain guard disc that is mounted behind the cassette, it was getting hung up on my buddy's Carve.

<100%
    I am told every hanger comes out of the box a bit off. LBS checks and straightens them methodically as part of the initial bike build. If the bike sat on the floor a while and got test ridden a few times, they probably needed to check it again before sending you out the door with it. If it's working now, you are good to go.

mtbr member
    Its totally possible. They come pre built out of the box...and IIRC...mine was a bit off too.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the input. Just found it strange that a.) I've never had that issue on any other new bike and b.) another rider experienced same on same model from different LBS We'll see how it goes on next ride but for the first time I have regrets about the shop I used and the model I purchased

mtbr member

My X7 blew up after a few months of riding my 2013 Carve Comp.

LBS tried to order another X7 under warranty, but SRAM was out of stock. LBS was going use an X9 they had, but SRAM sent an XO instead! No complaints from me!!

Zero problems with XO so far....

mudhen
    "Lighten up Francis" Sgt. Hulka

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mudhen View Post
    My X7 blew up after a few months of riding my 2013 Carve Comp.

LBS tried to order another X7 under warranty, but SRAM was out of stock. LBS was going use an X9 they had, but SRAM sent an XO instead! No complaints from me!!

Zero problems with XO so far....

mudhen
    Thx. Were you having problems prior to the X7 blowing up or did it just go?
    Hmmm...maybe an upgrade coming.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013

I have a 2013 Carve Expert. The X7 on mine seemed to be slipping up the seat tube so I changed out the bolt and used some thread locker to prevent it from loosening up. Every time it slid up the tube I had trouble with the chain coming off the ring. Since I reset things and tightened up the bolt I have had no trouble with the chain actually coming off. My current issue is through rough stuff the chain partially comes off and makes for a very interesting first peddle stroke after coasting. Spoke to the LBS and was told this is a common problem 2 x 10 drives and the only real fix is to upgrade to a rear derailure with shadow plus.

mtbr member
    After having the derailleur hanger straightened and shifting tuned, I hit the trail yesterday. Within the first 1/2 mile, the chain hung again and came off the lower der. pulley. Put back on rode another 1/4 happened again. Cut the ride short and went directly to the shop. Manager degreed to swap the X7 under warranty, but I decided was better to go for the X9 so I paid the upgrade. Will try to get a ride in after work tomorrow so we'll see....