Super Clyde

Carve Pro or Stumpjumper EVO HT

Looking at the components on the two they seem pretty similar. Does the M5 frame justify the extra $400? They're both in my price range, and while I want to buy the best bike possible, I didn't want to spend the extra money unnecessarily.

A little background on me. I'm 6' 349 pounds, and will be riding mostly single track in central NC. I want to ride in western NC in Pisgah or something, but it won't be very often. Thanks!

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by askibum02 View Post
    Looking at the components on the two they seem pretty similar. Does the M5 frame justify the extra $400? They're both in my price range, and while I want to buy the best bike possible, I didn't want to spend the extra money unnecessarily.

A little background on me. I'm 6' 349 pounds, and will be riding mostly single track in central NC. I want to ride in western NC in Pisgah or something, but it won't be very often. Thanks!
    You can't go wrong with either of them. Things to consider...

What is your fitness level? Carve Pro is a 2x10 and EVO HT is a 1x10. 2x10 helps a lot with hills when fitness is not there.

Will you regret going with the Carve Pro, when you really wanted the EVO HT?

I would buy the EVO HT, not b/c I have one, but I know that if I bought the Carve Pro that a year down the road I'd want the EVO HT. Once you have a good frame that you're happy with you can upgrade from there and not want a whole new bike every season.

'14 Epic Expert World Cup
    '14 Niner RLT9 105 (ordered)
    '13 R3 Ultegra, Enve 3.4 w/CK R45

mtbr member
    Component group aside, is there a big difference between the frames? On their website i see only minor geometrical differences between the two but am curious to know if these are real life differences that you can feel? The stumpy is considered "full race" while the carve is an "occasional xc race bike." But what frame wise, dimentionally speaking is the major difference? Or does it just come down to superior material (cf) and the component group?..
    "I see.." said the blind man pissing into the wind. "Its all coming back to me now.."

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by iheartoregon View Post
    Component group aside, is there a big difference between the frames? On their website i see only minor geometrical differences between the two but am curious to know if these are real life differences that you can feel? The stumpy is considered "full race" while the carve is an "occasional xc race bike." But what frame wise, dimentionally speaking is the major difference? Or does it just come down to superior material (cf) and the component group?..
    Well, the Carve is older aluminum tube technology and of course the Stumpy is the latest generation M5. Honestly, I don't think you'll feel a great difference, but then again I've haven't ridden both. Definitely test ride both and decide from there. Components are similar so it's a toss-up there.

'14 Epic Expert World Cup
    '14 Niner RLT9 105 (ordered)
    '13 R3 Ultegra, Enve 3.4 w/CK R45

mtbr member
    The Stumpy has a bit lower front end. Frame is a bit lighter and has the OSBB bottom bracket.

I was in the same decision a few months back.

In the end I went with the Carve Pro. I didn't want the full XC geo of the Stumpy and I didn't want the SRAM components. If I was planning on racing XC...I would have went with the Stumpy.

I've replaced enough parts on the Pro that I'm waaaay past the cost of the Evo.

mtbr member
    I bought a '13 pro also but ended up racing the whole xc season this year here in oregon and now am wondering if i bought the wrong bike!! Love the carve its pretty fast and comfortable just wonder if i would be better suited now with a stumpy!! ahhhh!!!!
    "I see.." said the blind man pissing into the wind. "Its all coming back to me now.."

Super Clyde

Carve Pro or Stumpjumper EVO HT

I'm a little reluctant to go with the 1 X10 set up right now. I'm still working on making my legs stronger. I may just get the Carve and put the extra $$$ into a set of wheels and other upgrades.

Sent from a telecommunication device with a touch screen keyboard.
    I wouldn't **** you, you're my favorite turd.

mtbr member
    I love the 2x gearing! You will love the carve, it really is a great bike. Just start looking into buying some xt brakes for it... Makes it a whole new bike over the crappy x5's!