mtbr member
    Nov 2007

Carry my Stumpjumper THIS way?

Hello all! I am brand new to this hobby/sport/obsession/wallet drainer, having brought home today my first mountain bike, a Stumpjumper Elite. I am thinking of hauling it as pictured, which makes for a very tight, no wiggle carry. Does anyone see any problems/issues with doing this? Is the angle too severe for hydraulic brakes? The other option is to use the ole' bike beam, which is an extra thing to have around and doesn't allow me to get a super tight hold on the bike. Thanks in advance for any advice or comments on this.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    I dont see any problems

Big Gulps, Alright!
    As long as you remember it's there and watch that wheel when you're driving.

Huh?
    Beautiful bike, by the way.

Wait, what!?
    What the hell is parked next to you? I want to say it is a Ferrari, but would hate to embarrass myself.

Just make sure you watch the wheel, like has already been said. That car isnt too wide though, you should be good.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    no i think that angle is just fine, im going to get me one of those pretty soon, what do you think of it?

Like catnip for people
    Quote Originally Posted by Enduroblood
    What the hell is parked next to you? I want to say it is a Ferrari, but would hate to embarrass myself.
    Looks like a Dodge Viper (GTS?)

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by ar1981
    Looks like a Dodge Viper (GTS?)
    You are correct, Sir! It's a Final Edition. And it's my neighbor's.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by darkest_fugue
    no i think that angle is just fine, im going to get me one of those pretty soon, what do you think of it?
    I'm loving it, but I also don't have any sophistication about what to really evaluate. My first ride was on a basically flat, decently groomed trail, although I found a spot with a lot of rocks to ride over, and that was a blast. For me, the bike handles well..I always felt in control even when going really really slow over rocks and branches. Seems like a decent stock set-up and sure looks purty!

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    i cant wait to get mine, the only thing is i dont know what ill do with my xc, i could upgrade it over time but would it be even worth it, i hope the stumpjumper doesnt put it in the shade too much

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Nothing wrong with that. I see you've got a webbing strap on the front wheel. I usually use a rubber bungee strap from the pedals thru the wheel. Keeps the wheel straight and keeps the pedals from turning.

mtbr member
    [SIZE=2]Angle makes no difference to hydraulic disk brakes, not even doing a wheelie down a rock garden.

Are the cables stretchy? Cos that makes allot of difference.

Nice bike
    [/SIZE]

K n e e m o i
    There is no problem.

But I would get a hitch rack down the road. (Assuming that you park in an underground garage and have limited roof clearance.) I don't trust the strap on racks, and it scratches the trunk of the car.
    "Prison sports are really fun. I get used as a frisbee, a dartboard, and a second base!" - Kneemoi