mtbr member
    Nov 2011

Carbon and Jumping??

Ok, so I have already reserved myself to the idea of having to buy another bike. My current ride is a 2012 carbon Epic Comp 29 with I9 wheels. I love the bike. It is light, agile, fast and climbs like a champ. The only problem is that I am now riding on more aggressive trails with bigger hits, jumps, drop offs. I want to keep my Epic for normal single track, but am thinking about picking up a Stumpjumper FSR29 for those more aggressive trailers. Here is my question. I am a bit of a weight weenie. My Epic is slightly over 25lbs. I weighed a new aluminum SJ at the bike shop and it was slightly over 29lbs. I know I can drop a lbs with carbon, then a little more with wheels, but I am concerned that carbon might not hold up to jumps, drops, etc. Please understand, my jumps, etc, aren't huge, but they are enough to make me worry.

What are your thoughts? Should I just deal with the weight penalty and go AL, or is carbon strong enough to stand up?????

Thanks in advance,
    Scottie

mtbr member
    These guys don't seem to mind a little bit of air on their carbon frames. These Are The Days - Dylan Dunkerton on Vimeo (both are 2012 SJ Evo Experts)

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Pinkbike Visits The Santa Cruz Test Lab Video - YouTube

Not Spec frames, but you get the idea...

mtbr member
    if ur jumps are enough to make you worry then worry about skill & don't worry about weight but if you can send like the guys in that coastal crew vid then you're probably ok.
    don't forget there's also Lopes whose been abusing carbon mojos for a few years now.
    always face the herd

Only 5 lives left
    Poorly built or too light wheels would be more of a concern for failure than a carbon frame. Watch the two posted videos and put your worries to rest.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I'm not even close to that level, lol. I think carbon will be fine. It is just a mental thing thinking AL would be stronger.

Thanks for the input guys.
    SM

mtbr member
    Carbon will be fine, I do some crazy stuff on my SJ Carbon EVO