Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Carbon Epic and Stumpy 2006!

Too bad I will never be able to afford it. From mbaction website.

SPECIALIZED DEBUTS CARBON FIBER S-WORKS--JULY 17

R.Cunningham

Specialized has a new carbon fiber process that it calls FACT. "Functional Advanced Composite Technology." It's a building technique that starts with seperate tubes and parts that are laid up by hand from carbon fiber, then cured seperately. The individual parts are then glued together, and then the frame junctions are reinforced by "taping" it together with carbon fiber strips. The journals are then cured with heat and pressure in a second mold where the frame emerges into what Specialized calls "Az-1" (say: "as one") technology. Az-1 means that the carbon frame reacts as if it was laid up, molded and cured in one piece.

The Epic has the new carbon technology, but the big news is that the top Stumpjumper gets it too. The new Stumpy may be the best bicycle in Specialized's lineup for 2006. It has 130mm of rear wheel travel and a remote reservior Brain Shock that has been tuned to react more smoothly than the made-for-racing Epic's inertia-valve pedaling platform. The Carbon Epic with disc brakes will run near $7000 and the frame and shock weigh 2350 grams.

The Stumpjumper's bottom bracket has been raised slightly (that is good) and its head angle has been kicked out (slacker) by a half degree from the original 71-degrees. The end result is a 25-pound trailbike that pedals like a racing sled, but handles so much better that nobody in their right mind would want to trail ride on anything else. Don't get too excited; only the top three Stumpy's get Brain Shocks. The rest get Fox Triad Pro-pedal shocks. The top Stumpy will also cost around $7000.

While we are on the subject of shocks, the '06 Enduro, while it chassis is unchanged, gets the new Fox DHX-Air damper that incorporates all of the adjustability of Fox's DH racing coil/over shock, with less than half the weight. Another addition to the Enduro is a dual-crankset with a Black Spire roller guide and a lightweight Specialized "bash guard." This has been long in coming--the Enduro is too heavy to take advantage of a 44-tooth chainring anyway. The modification puts the Enduro squarely in its intended realm as a big-drop machine that is trail capable. Fox "36" forks will show up on the top bike. The mid-priced Enduro has Marzocchi's six-inch single-crown slider and a less-expensive version of the Enduro will be offered with the Fox TALAS fork.

Specialized may have the best female-specific lineup. The road and mountain lineup has been designed around matching helmets, clothing and other accessories. It's an impressive lineup--but not completely impressive. The missing link is at the top of its bicycle lineup. The best bicycle that a woman is allowed to buy is the aluminum Stumpjumper "Expert," and is doesn't have a Brain! Specialized may be able to spell the word, but expressing their committment to female cyclists is still forthcoming. Either you are in or out. Give the girls a Brain and let them ride carbon!

Downhillers and freeriders will appreciate the new Carbon fiber full-face helmet. Specialized calls it the Deviant. It is mega light weight and heavily ventilated. No problems with your helmet obscuring your view mid-stunt either, because it incorporates the adjustable Pro-Fit retention device. The new lid costs $350 in carbon and $130 in fiberglass.

If you want more information, wait for a few days and we'll get some pictures and more details on the site. Right now, I gott a go ride with Ned Overend (He turns fifty on Thursday and somehow, can still kick my butt on the climbs) Happy Birthday Ned!

mtbr member
    Nice to hear that the Stumpy 2006 has a higher bottom bracket and a triad / brain shock. I find only the dead zone and the firmest setting to be useful in the septune.

I just bought a 2005 model a week ago and the low bb and the septune shock are my only complaints...

I wonder if the added travel and therefore also added sag will eat up the heightened bb...

mtbr member
    so what does that make the price for the s-works epic frame/fork? Over $4K?!
    Bikes are my time machines.

mtbr member
    7k for a bike is ridiculous, I don't care what it is.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbiker1973
    7k for a bike is ridiculous, I don't care what it is.
    I'll second that! Not only is it a huge pile of $s, if they really do post a $7k msrp, that's 30% above their top msrp for 2005 ...totally nuts.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by kcavtca
    I'll second that! Not only is it a huge pile of $s, if they really do post a $7k msrp, that's 30% above their top msrp for 2005 ...totally nuts.

Yeh, but somebody will have one next year and we'll have to hear about it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bird
    Yeh, but somebody will have one next year and we'll have to hear about it.
    And I'll bet half are sold through employee purchase. These things are eyecatching to anyone new to the sport. I'm not new, but I am I'm looking forward to my Enduro.

Baby Bear is in the house

New question here.

Strange that they've gone back to a remote Brain as in 2004's S-Works Enduro. That bike was pretty cool, but didn't prove popular enough for Spec to continue making them.

I guess, as previously mentioned somewhere, the next logical step after ProPedal is the Brain shock. A 130mm Stumpy Brain would mate perfectly with the '06 TALAS XTT

I just wish Spec would go for an uninterrupted seat tube design on their longer-travel bikes [a longer-travel Epic of some sort?] I've always wondered why they don't do a similar swing-link design of the Rocky Mountain Slayer, with the shock mounted under the top tube [but with a Horst-link of course]. It would approximate the current design but utilize an uninterrupted seat tube for slamming the seat down on more hairy descents. What do you guys think?
    Better to have and not need it, than to need it and not have it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rigel
    Strange that they've gone back to a remote Brain as in 2004's S-Works Enduro. That bike was pretty cool, but didn't prove popular enough for Spec to continue making them.

I guess, as previously mentioned somewhere, the next logical step after ProPedal is the Brain shock. A 130mm Stumpy Brain would mate perfectly with the '06 TALAS XTT

I just wish Spec would go for an uninterrupted seat tube design on their longer-travel bikes [a longer-travel Epic of some sort?] I've always wondered why they don't do a similar swing-link design of the Rocky Mountain Slayer, with the shock mounted under the top tube [but with a Horst-link of course]. It would approximate the current design but utilize an uninterrupted seat tube for slamming the seat down on more hairy descents. What do you guys think?
    It would have the slam down advantage, but I would imagine there design is less stiff at the same weight given that the stays would have to be substantially longer. Even if that's not much of an issue - consider they made the current crazy seat tube because its "different." Speshy goes to great lengths for the high tech look for better or worse.

As for the brain, I think it relates to a general aversion to "excessive" technology application...just too many tiny parts for something to go wrong. Since this Brain is supposed to be more propedal oriented as opposed to lock out I'm sure it will be more accepted. I would love to try one with the TTX fork, but doubt it would end up being the pick for me since I'm not a big speed demon. I also would distrust the Brain durability - its too much cash to have it break off on a crash, and I sadly have tended to crash lately.

Baby Bear is in the house
    It would have the slam down advantage, but I would imagine there design is less stiff at the same weight given that the stays would have to be substantially longer.
    I figured that too.

Even if that's not much of an issue - consider they made the current crazy seat tube because its "different." Speshy goes to great lengths for the high tech look for better or worse.
    Yup. I just saw the vid on the Spec website with Rob Eggert [or was it Mike Sinyard?] saying their bikes are as much works of art as they are for riding. But Mike also said that looks don't mean anything if it doesn't work right.

As for the brain, I think it relates to a general aversion to "excessive" technology application...just too many tiny parts for something to go wrong. Since this Brain is supposed to be more propedal oriented as opposed to lock out I'm sure it will be more accepted. I would love to try one with the TTX fork, but doubt it would end up being the pick for me since I'm not a big speed demon.
    Maybe also the Brain actuation is different from conventional suspension [e.g. setting up for bunny hops] and many people are turned off by how it feels. Hopefully "Trail Tune" makes it better in that respect.

I also would distrust the Brain durability - its too much cash to have it break off on a crash, and I sadly have tended to crash lately.
    Which is why using the conventional shock mounting with a remote reservoir [as in the Enduro Brain and 06 Stumpy FSR] seems like a better idea than the Epic design, as far as shock placement is concerned. Although the reservoir is still quite vulnerable to crash damage
    Last edited by r1Gel; 07-20-2005 at 12:27 AM.
    Better to have and not need it, than to need it and not have it.

dead sailor
    Quote Originally Posted by undertrained

While we are on the subject of shocks, the '06 Enduro, while it chassis is unchanged, gets the new Fox DHX-Air damper that incorporates all of the adjustability of Fox's DH racing coil/over shock, with less than half the weight. Another addition to the Enduro is a dual-crankset with a Black Spire roller guide and a lightweight Specialized "bash guard." This has been long in coming--the Enduro is too heavy to take advantage of a 44-tooth chainring anyway. The modification puts the Enduro squarely in its intended realm as a big-drop machine that is trail capable. Fox "36" forks will show up on the top bike. The mid-priced Enduro has Marzocchi's six-inch single-crown slider and a less-expensive version of the Enduro will be offered with the Fox TALAS fork.

scchhwweeeeeet...

if that fork is a Z1 or 66 or some sort of variant, I'm selling a kidney and a lung
    phuck it!

p.s. I NEED a Pugsley

mtbr member
    I have the 04 Enduro with the brain and as far as crash damage it's pretty hard to do with the brain between the wheel and the seat stay, I would say it's just as likely to break off as your rear disc brake is.

Also remember the trail tune brain is much different then the epic brain it is not an on or off thing like the epic. Once they are out take a test ride on a local trail before you judge how it works you might just be surprised.

I am glad they are bringing the remote brain back as this will ensure should I break my frame or the brain fails that there will now be replacement parts available or I can switch to the SJ frame and not lose brain shock I have grown to love.
    Last edited by Murchman; 07-20-2005 at 05:15 AM.

mtbr member
    here are the pics of the SJ and Epic

mtbr member

Great

That is great now I need to start saving so I can order a carbon 120 sworks.
    Anyone need their house painted or car washed?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Murchman
    I have the 04 Enduro with the brain and as far as crash damage it's pretty hard to do with the brain between the wheel and the seat stay, I would say it's just as likely to break off as your rear disc brake is.

Also remember the trail tune brain is much different then the epic brain it is not an on or off thing like the epic. Once they are out take a test ride on a local trail before you judge how it works you might just be surprised.

I am glad they are bringing the remote brain back as this will ensure should I break my frame or the brain fails that there will now be replacement parts available or I can switch to the SJ frame and not lose brain shock I have grown to love.
    I'm definitely going to get on one before I decide. I do have to say that the stumpy is a much more lively ride than an Enduro...you just can't do anything aggro on it and for all the money I'm spending (there can only be one bike), I'm having a hard time saying no to the beefy build. The 36 TALAS is so... damn nice. With a set of light wheels and dialed down fork, I wonder how different the Enduro and Stumpy would feel on singletrack - it would be a very fun comparison. I'm thinking if I went Enduro I would take my old XT hub, and a new 20mm and build a total XC wheel set. I could shave a full 2lbs of rotating weight!

mtbr member

mtbr member

niiice pics

Thanks. They look crazy. Over the top maybe, but it elicit more oogles this year than any other.

mtbr member
    Not bad looking! I was thinking about getting a StumpJumper 120 next year anyway. It says the Brain will be on the "top three" models, so hopefully that means the Pro and Expert models will have it and won't move off into the pricing stratosphere with the S-Works...

mtbr member

mtbr member
    Here is a nice picture of how the brain is protected by the seat stay.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Murchman
    Here is a nice picture of how the brain is protected by the seat stay.

That's how it's always been on the Epic and the 04 S-Works Enduro.

mtbr member
    Yep I has just was pointing out how it looks cause someone mentioned it might get damaged in a crash but with the frame in front of it, it has some pretty good protection.

mtbr member
    Also looks like the big "S" has sram rear deraileurs in the above photos.

mtbr member

Thanks!

Thanks for the pictures now I want one even more!
    I guess I will wait till the 06' Stumpys' arrive to make my decision.'Very Nice!

mtbr member

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast