mtbr member

carbon downtube protection

I'm looking into getting carbon downtube protection for both my bikes, if possible.
    I'm riding 2011 S-Works Enduro and 2009 SX Trail II frame only build.

Rock Guardz has Enduro one, but can't seem to find any for SXT.
    if anyone knows somebody making one for SXT, please share.

also, is anyobody else doing these beside Rock Guardz? that french company Leoseven use to make ones for Spesh, but seems they stopped it. can't remember if I ever found anyone else doing those...

anyway, if you know, please share - thanx!

mtbr member
    You can buy some generic frame tape from crankskin.com. Good product, but I hate how the material is folded when it's shipped. The crease never goes away, even after heat is applied, and dirt creeps into the crease, ruining the lines of the bike.

Another company is frameskin.com. The stuff comes in a tube, so there's no crease. The company is in Australia, and they might have a custom kit for both frames. You can also cut your own with the frameskin material; it's not hard. I tried one of their custom kits and preferred to cut my own since my coverage is better. It's time-consuming but worth the protection if you want to keep your bike as fresh as possible.
    '12 S-Works Stumpjumper carbon HT
    '13 Specialized Carve Comp
    '94 S-Works M2

mtbr member
    Nearly all FSR bikes ship with the Mylar protectors in the box. More often than not, dealers throw them away or customers simply throw away the accessories box that contains the protectors (along with the awesome plastic pedals every bike legally has to ship with, manuals, bolts, etc.).

Just tell your dealer you never got them (subtly make it their fault!), and they should hastily hand some over to you.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark in Baltimore View Post
    You can buy some generic frame tape from crankskin.com. Good product, but I hate how the material is folded when it's shipped. The crease never goes away, even after heat is applied, and dirt creeps into the crease, ruining the lines of the bike.

Another company is frameskin.com. The stuff comes in a tube, so there's no crease. The company is in Australia, and they might have a custom kit for both frames. You can also cut your own with the frameskin material; it's not hard. I tried one of their custom kits and preferred to cut my own since my coverage is better. It's time-consuming but worth the protection if you want to keep your bike as fresh as possible.
    thanx for the tip - I know about Crankskin but didn't know about the other one, and thanx for that crease advice - that stuff is important.

I actually want just downtube carbon protection. was thinking about the tape and wanted to get 3M tape, that Crankskin and that other one, called Safety.. something... can't remember now - but decided to just get DT protection.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Biking Brazilian View Post
    Nearly all FSR bikes ship with the Mylar protectors in the box. More often than not, dealers throw them away or customers simply throw away the accessories box that contains the protectors (along with the awesome plastic pedals every bike legally has to ship with, manuals, bolts, etc.).

Just tell your dealer you never got them (subtly make it their fault!), and they should hastily hand some over to you.
    well looky there!
    didn't know about this.

I'll try that.
    THANX!