mtbr member
    Sep 2012

Carbon Crank set for 2011 Epic Comp

Winter will be here before I know it. I want to change a few things on my Epic while there is snow on the ground.

Anyone have recommendations on a 2 gear Carbon Crank Set that will fit. Which cassette should I use? Anything else needed?

Also, what are yall using for Carbon Rims with success?

Thanks for any knowlege and wisdom you can share.

T

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I would highly recc. the Sram X0 cranks if you go that route. As far as wheels go, I would skip the carbon rims unless you are racing and or just want the light/bling factor. Plenty of quality light alum. rims to choose from. I think you are going to see more carbon options as well coming.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012

crankset

Will I have to use a different cassette? Im still pretty new to the High-end mountain bike scene, but loving it and having a great time. I will start looking into this set. Do you happen to know what size is needed to fit into the epic?

Thanks for your input

T

old fart
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by mxtoeknee View Post
    Will I have to use a different cassette? Im still pretty new to the High-end mountain bike scene, but loving it and having a great time. I will start looking into this set. Do you happen to know what size is needed to fit into the epic?

Thanks for your input

T
    No, assuming that you are using a 10-speed setup, that is.

However, best practice is to adopt a "preventative maintenance" routine with your chain, cassette and chainrings.

You should replace your chain whenever it wears past 0.75mm (use a chain wear indicator). When the new chain "skips" on the cassette, replace the cassette (should be every 2 or 3 chains). And finally, when you replace every second cassette, or when you notice "chain suck" in relatively normal conditions, replace the chain-ring.

If you follow this approach, you can save quite a bit of money, especially if you are using expensive cassettes. A chain wear indicator bar costs less than $20. When you replace a chain ring is a less precise science. In the old days you could tell by the tooth profile, but these days of individual tooth profiles, you can't. If you spend all your time in 1 ring, then that is all you need to replace.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    So has anyone changed out the cranks on their 2011 Epic? If so what size is needed? I would like to start looking into a set and hopefully try it out this fall. Thanks for the info, yall are a great resource

T

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Is it bb30?
    Last edited by erichwic; 09-10-2012 at 08:49 AM.
    MCH Co-Captain

mtbr member
    sorry to resurrect this thread, but just curious if anyone could help with a similar question. i'm converting from 3x10 to 2x10 on my epic comp, just wondering what is the max chainring size i can install? I was hoping to put on a 42/28, but found out i won't have the clearance.

thanks for any help. I thought I had this all figured out, started ordering stuff, then was reminded of chainstay clearance. d'oh
    '02 Rockhopper Comp
    '11 Specialized Epic Comp 26