mtbr member
    Sep 2012

Carbon Crank set for 2011 Epic Comp

Winter will be here before I know it. I want to change a few things on my Epic while there is snow on the ground.

Anyone have recommendations on a 2 gear Carbon Crank Set that will fit. Which cassette should I use? Anything else needed?

Also, what are yall using for Carbon Rims with success?

Thanks for any knowlege and wisdom you can share.

T

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I would highly recc. the Sram X0 cranks if you go that route. As far as wheels go, I would skip the carbon rims unless you are racing and or just want the light/bling factor. Plenty of quality light alum. rims to choose from. I think you are going to see more carbon options as well coming.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012

crankset

Will I have to use a different cassette? Im still pretty new to the High-end mountain bike scene, but loving it and having a great time. I will start looking into this set. Do you happen to know what size is needed to fit into the epic?

Thanks for your input

T

old fart
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by mxtoeknee View Post
    Will I have to use a different cassette? Im still pretty new to the High-end mountain bike scene, but loving it and having a great time. I will start looking into this set. Do you happen to know what size is needed to fit into the epic?

Thanks for your input

T
    No, assuming that you are using a 10-speed setup, that is.

However, best practice is to adopt a "preventative maintenance" routine with your chain, cassette and chainrings.

You should replace your chain whenever it wears past 0.75mm (use a chain wear indicator). When the new chain "skips" on the cassette, replace the cassette (should be every 2 or 3 chains). And finally, when you replace every second cassette, or when you notice "chain suck" in relatively normal conditions, replace the chain-ring.

If you follow this approach, you can save quite a bit of money, especially if you are using expensive cassettes. A chain wear indicator bar costs less than $20. When you replace a chain ring is a less precise science. In the old days you could tell by the tooth profile, but these days of individual tooth profiles, you can't. If you spend all your time in 1 ring, then that is all you need to replace.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    So has anyone changed out the cranks on their 2011 Epic? If so what size is needed? I would like to start looking into a set and hopefully try it out this fall. Thanks for the info, yall are a great resource

T

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Is it bb30?
    Last edited by erichwic; 09-10-2012 at 07:49 AM.
    MCH Co-Captain

mtbr member
    sorry to resurrect this thread, but just curious if anyone could help with a similar question. i'm converting from 3x10 to 2x10 on my epic comp, just wondering what is the max chainring size i can install? I was hoping to put on a 42/28, but found out i won't have the clearance.

thanks for any help. I thought I had this all figured out, started ordering stuff, then was reminded of chainstay clearance. d'oh
    '02 Rockhopper Comp
    '11 Specialized Epic Comp 26
    '11 Kona Kula Watt

Members who have read this thread: 0