mtbr member
    Jan 2008

carbon colour fade...

I have a '12 Sworks Enduro.

And the Yellow has faded (yellow and black), is this a warrantee issue?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails carbon colour fade...-2012-11-05-17.30.57-small-.jpg  

Waiting for peace
    Unfortunately no it's not... that is a function of the paint color being exposed to ultraviolet light... it happens to white (turns yellow) red (turns orange) and green (turns a lighter green). Anytime anything is in sunlight that is not already blue it's going to fade.... paint isn't warranteed for much of anything including cars!

Sorry for the bad news....

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    thanks for the responce...
    how dissapointing, the bike is about 1 year old but looks much older than that....

mtbr member
    I may be a bit over the top but I enjoy detailing my car and I have been using some spray on paint sealant with uv protection on my bike. More for the ease of cleaning off dirt but it may help prevent this.

Just a thought

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by beshannon View Post
    I may be a bit over the top but I enjoy detailing my car and I have been using some spray on paint sealant with uv protection on my bike. More for the ease of cleaning off dirt but it may help prevent this.

Just a thought
    I was going to suggest the same thing.
    MCH Co-Captain

Waiting for peace
    I waned people about this in the eighties with their funny colored clothes in the snow..... neon just looks terrible after it has faded....

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    I believe paint is warrantied for one year

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    LOL!!!! the green paint on my 12 stumpy evo expert carbon is fading too....but i dont care enough to worry about it with such an awesome bike
    just cool to see that it's not just my frame out there....

mtbr member
    This is something to remember when choosing a color.I believe all the bikes with a matt finish will fade.That is why when choosing my 2013 epic i went for the white and not the matt black/red.Here in the African sun a mate of mines 2012 s works tarmac black/red faded to a lovely black/pink in less than a year.Just remember,no gloss,no protection.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Oorrrrr -- just go ride and have fun and realize a little faded paint doesn't matter..

mtbr member
    I'm glad I only ride during winter months...
    '14 Epic Marathon 29 for sale
    '13 Stumpy fsr Elite 29 pimped
    '12 Roubaix Expert pimped

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SpecialWarr View Post
    I waned people about this in the eighties with their funny colored clothes in the snow..... neon just looks terrible after it has faded....
    My jacket still looks great:
    http://img1.etsystatic.com/000/0/588....302336013.jpg

Waiting for peace
    LIMITED LIFETIME WARRANTY ON BICYCLE FRAMES AND FRAMESETS
    Specialized warrants to the original owner for the lifetime of the original owner of each
    new Specialized bicycle or frameset that the bicycle frame or frameset when new is free of
    defective materials and workmanship
    . The lifetime Limited Warranty is conditioned upon
    the bicycle being operated under normal conditions and use, and properly maintained. This
    Limited Warranty does not apply to paint/finish or components attached to the bicycle/
    frameset such as front forks, wheels, drive train, brakes, seat post, handlebar and stem,
    or any suspension related parts or components. Paint/finish, components attached to the
    bicycle/frameset such as front forks, wheels, drive train, brakes, seat post, handlebar and
    stem, or any suspension related parts or components are covered under the limited one (1)
    year warranty
    . This Limited Warranty is void if the bicycle or frameset was not purchased
    new or not properly assembled by an authorized Specialized dealer.

there is no warranty on "fading" from what I read... flaking and cracking not due to impact or chemical reaction / abuse appears to be all that is covered.
    Last edited by SpecialWarr; 11-10-2012 at 01:02 PM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    If you clean and wax your bike every once and a while, it helps significantly.

Polish and wax that you would use on your car will preserve the finish on your bike. It might also help restore the finish on your bike, to some degree. My bike gets waxed several times a year, when I feel like working on the bike, and everything is already perfectly clean and in tip-top mechanical condition. Check with these guys: Meguiar's : Car Care Products
    If you call their tech support line, they might have specific recommendations for a product that will help your situation.

mtbr member
    I'm not so sure that waxing is an option on some of the newer Specialized frames that come in stealth/flat finishes. (?)