illuminator82
    Jun 2004

Carbon or Aluminum Epic

opinions on the difference would be appreciated.. worth the cost? real percieved vibration dampening? durability in small travel xc bike?
    i know the difference on the road between aluminum and carbon as it is miles apart..
    thanks in advance....

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    I think it would come down to whether or not you race and how competitive you are.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007

I want to be more competative, however

I'm not very competatvie now. I will be racing, or attempting to complete three race series in Virginia this season and I am looking to upgrade my 1996 Stumpjumper FSR comp.

I have never ridden a carbon mtb so I don't know what to expect. My lbs doesn't have a carbon epic but I have ridden the AL 2006 Epic Comp in a Large and it seem to fit nicely. I am hoping to buy a Marthon soon but I don't know if I should spring for the carbon.

I would have to assume that it would ride smoother. What about flex? Being a bigger guy, 204 this morning, should I stick with the AL frame?

Thanks,

Sean

mtbr member
    Up to you, if you can afford it... I have got the S-Works Stumpy in carbon and it is a sweet as.....
    Building: ​Boardman 2010 HT Pro
    Current Joy: '11 Giant Anthem X
    Previous Joy: '09 Commencal Meta 5 VIP

mtbr member
    Jan 2007

That's what I'm thinking

I figure that the carbon version will ride better and I've always had an issue with my hands going numb so less vibration would be nice.

That's probably has more to do with my postition on the bike and also I spend much more time on the road and only bring out the Stumpy for the occasional race. Funny how one's brain will start to justify the next big purchase.

I'd really like to play in the dirt more this year so I figured it was time to upgrade. I figure 10 years of service is good. I'll never be competative on the road due to my size and I had some good results in the beginner class last year so I thought I'd give the sport a try on a new ride and with my improved form from my offseason training plan.

Can anyone see any drawback to going with the carbon other then price?

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Seems you and I have a lot in common. I'm around the same weight, maybe a little less when I'm always riding (been raining). I just built up an aluminum epic marathon. I'm curious to know if the carbon frame has the same lifetime warranty as the aluminum...

Take this with a grain of salt, because I've never ridden one of the carbon models. I have seen posts in this forum that say that the benefits do not outweigh the extra costs of the carbon frame. It is also mentioned that you do get a better ride. To be honest, if cost wasn't an issue, I'd go for the carbon because..well, because it is carbon and cost isn't a concern.

/gC

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    I think I want the carbon for the better ride feel but I would be able to test one. I'm also a little worried about crashing in a rock garden and cracking the frame. I'm off to the LBS at lunch to place our team nutritional order so I'll chat with the guys about the benefits and hazards.

I think we know them already but my main question would be:

"If I tank it in a rock garden and crack the frame, will Specialized warrantee the frame or does that fall under the category or user error/wear and tear?"

I'll post my findings...

Cheers

Sean

CDB
    mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.ph...78207#poststop

I posted a related thought on this at the MBA article thread.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007

good link

Now I'm leaning towards the M5 Marathon.

I didn't really get an answer on the warrantee info but my guess is that if you were to crash your shinny new carbon bike into a tree and crack it in half Specialized probably isn't going to give you a new one since it was your own fault.

Since this is the only bike I can buy I am going to take the more conserative approach and go with the aluminium since I know that it will be able to take some falls and be ok. I'm sure the carbon would take them as well but since I don't have a sponsor to replace my frame if it did break due to user error I have to be conservative.

They shop also said that since you have the suspension the carbon isn't going to dampen the vibrarations to such an extent as the Tarmac or Roubaix would on the road. Makes sense.

So, now I just have to save up the coin and I'm good to go.

Hope this helps anyone one the fence.

Sean