mtbr member

Captains vs. Eskar tires

I purchased Captain Armadillo Elite tires last month and would rate them as average when riding over concrete, hard pack and road base. In loose gravel the Captains don't seem to bite as well as my old Fast Traks. However; the Captains do bite a lot better in gravel then the OEM Resolution tires do. The OEM Resolutions glide over large hits and rock gardens much much better than the Captains. The resolutions are probably more supple because they have a larger air volume and a more pliable casing (because they are not armadillos).
    Has anybody tried the Eskar in the conditions I listed above? And if so, how does their rolling resistance compare to the Captains? Are they harder to peddle up hills and on flats than the Captains? Can a 26 x 2.3 tire roll and peddle easier than a 26 x 2.0 tire?

Weekend Warrior
    Isn't the Eskar a Downhill tire? I wanted to upgrade to the Captain but the Captain is in no way a Road/Street tire. I have the FastTrak LK Pro on right now and was planning on upgrading to the Captain in the front, but sticking to my 2.0 width. Unfortunately there is no tire that is good in soft ground and the street. You just have to pick the one for which condition you are going to use more. In my opinion the FastTrak would be even better if there was a regular knob hight available rather than the LK or SLK.

mtbr member
    My old 26 x 2.0 Fast Trak Armadillo Elite Tires are harder to peddle on then my new Captains A.E. tires. That is probably why the Fast
    Traks bite better in hard pack and loose gravel then the Captains. I was looking for a suppler tire (which means a larger tire) to smooth out the very rough trails I ride over. Tightly spaced center knobs (like the ones on the Captains and Resolutions) certainly have less rolling resistance when riding over concrete and hard pack but slip around on loose stuff like gravel. Too bad Specialized no longer produced the Roll-X tire, which for me handle everything I rode over very well.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I just put on the Eskar S-works 2.3 coming from my OEM Fastrack. The Eskars definitely have a lot more resistance; however, I have much more confidence on the downhills and loose stuff. I probably would not by the Eskars again for my riding.