mtbr member
    Dec 2006

Captain or Small Block 8?

Currently on my Epic 29er I"m running the stock tire set up S-Works The Captains on the front and S-Works Fast Track on the back. Bike seems to handle great, hard to compare since these are the only tires I've used on the bike. I was thinking of trying Kenda Small Block 8 on the back. Anyone running SB8's on the back and is so how does it compare with The Captain? Yep I just corrected the tire placement had it backwards.... ooops!
    Last edited by socal59; 02-02-2011 at 08:22 AM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    I went from a captain to a SB8 on my SJ FSR 26. The SB has great traction on the climbs and it feels faster on the decents. It seems like it has less rolling resistance and feels more "smooth". Kinda hard to explain. I have a friend who switched to a SB8 the same time I did and he experienced the same thing, felt faster downhill, even on rough terrain. I would easily recommend it.

mtbr member
    SB8 is a good tire but it depends on your trails, i run the captains front and rear on my bike and a friend of mine runs SB8s front and rear on our trails the captains are a better choice cuz there is a lot of loose over hard pack so i grip better on the climbs and corners however i have riden my friends bike and i have to agree the SB8 does have a much lower rolling resistance and feel faster....maybe try the slant six its suppose to be the best of both worlds with grip and low rolling resistance

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by socal59
    Currently on my Epic 29er I"m running the stock tire set up S-Works The Captains on the back and S-Works Fast Track on the front. Bike seems to handle great, hard to compare since these are the only tires I've used on the bike. I was thinking of trying Kenda Small Block 8 on the back. Anyone running SB8's on the back and is so how does it compare with The Captain?
    People I know have had bad experiences with the SB8 due to week sidewalls that cut easily. If this isn't a problem for you then it could be a good option. I just picked up the Maxxis IKON, and it looks like a really sweet tire. Triple compound, reinforced sidewall (I got the EXO version), and it just gives the impression of being a high-quality tire. It might be worthwhile looking at too.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    guessing your post is backwards....

fast trak on the rear right?

if you want a faster rolling tire i would try the Renegade. i really dig them. i use the Controls so they are a little beefier.
    My wife's website....
    Allison Mann

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Woops I did have the tire placement backwards on the post not the bike. Yea Renegades might be worth a look. SB8 still sounds tempting and the price is hard to beat at $37

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    I have a set of SB8s and a set of Captains that I run. I love the SB8s in the dual compound. fast with ridiculous traction in most conditions. My complaints with them would be the mud packing and the sidewalls. As mentioned before, the sidewalls are thin and prone to slices. I like the captains for mixed conditions with loose rock or damp soil. They roll plenty fast and have great traction. I run these more than the SB8s because I have the harder compound version that came stock on my bike and the do not wear as fast.

mtbr member
    My friend's Epic just came spec'd with a Captain F/Renegade R, I'm anxious to see what he thinks about that set up. Kind of seems like a lot of disparity between F and R tread/traction to be predictable but should be super fast.

I was looking forward to the SB8 because of how well it works for CX but all the talk of sidewall cuts has put me off them.
    Last edited by htfu_aaron; 02-02-2011 at 08:37 PM.
    http://htfuaaron.blogspot.com
    2012 Niner Air 9 SS
    2011 Crux
    2012 Crux SS

Mountain Man Dan
    I run Captain Controls front and back. Great tire!
    The bike is nothing more then circles turning circles, It's the human motor that makes it elegant.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I have captains on my stumpy, and I think overall they offer great traction comparing to the rolling resistance they offer.

If your trails are super hard, like basically dirt cement, then the sb8 would be a good choice cause you don't really need the longer knobs. But if you ride where it is soft, loose over hard pack then I would stick with the captains.

Just look at it this way, if you want to go faster, then go sb8, if you want more traction stick with the captains. You can also look at different sizes with the captains, which could either add more traction or roll better depending on size.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Talking to a friend that runs SB8s on his Yeti, he said they are really fast rolling but sketchy around turns and lock up on him with hard braking. He has not had any trouble with the side walls slicing or blowing up. Like I said for the price $37 v Specialized S Work tires at around $60 to $65, SB8 are worth a try. Seems hard to believe that bike tires almost cost as much as car tires?

Mountain Man Dan
    Talking to a friend that runs SB8s on his Yeti, he said they are really fast rolling but sketchy around turns and lock up on him with hard braking. He has not had any trouble with the side walls slicing or blowing up. Like I said for the price $37 v Specialized S Work tires at around $60 to $65, SB8 are worth a try. Seems hard to believe that bike tires almost cost as much as car tires?
    Car tires huh? What the heck kind of car tires are you buying for 65$???
    The bike is nothing more then circles turning circles, It's the human motor that makes it elegant.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    I know I know maybe not $65 for car tires, but still pricey for bike tires.

mtbr member
    my lbs turned me on to geax saguaro tire. it works great and they are about the same price as the sb8.i run them on the back and a nevegal up front
    remember wherever you go, there you are !

official eMpTyBRain
    Currently on my Epic 29er I"m running the stock tire set up S-Works The Captains on the front and S-Works Fast Track on the back. Bike seems to handle great, hard to compare since these are the only tires I've used on the bike. I was thinking of trying Kenda Small Block 8 on the back. Anyone running SB8's on the back and is so how does it compare with The Captain? Yep I just corrected the tire placement had it backwards.... ooops!
    Judging by your name, I'd say you live in SoCal? I've got SB8s front and rear on my Epic and I've had absolutely no traction issues on any of our typical terrain. They are faster and smoother than the Specialized tires. I know this because my Epic originally came with Specialized tires and I rode on them for a while before I switched to SB8s.
    ...and proud member of the anti-sock puppet desolation