mtbr member
    Jan 2005

Can you xc race w/ a 120 stumpy?

I upgraded my FS frame from the NRS 3 to the Sworks FSR 120 stumpy a couple of months ago because I wanted to get a "one bike" bike. One that I could do aggressive trailing with ( I figured the 5" travel would give me this) and on occassions race XC races with it too. My NRS3 weighed in at 27.5 lbs and my Stumpy only weighs 26.4 lbs. I have the '04 Talas RL upfront and just love the adjustability it gives me. I'm able to wind down and lockout and set rear to firmest w/ propedal for ascents and unwind and go to the freezone on descents. In principle, w/ all my components the same w/ my NRS3, I was able to lose a pound, so this makes it a better race bike for me, right?

Does anyone race the stumpy?

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by grnhrnt
    I upgraded my FS frame from the NRS 3 to the Sworks FSR 120 stumpy a couple of months ago because I wanted to get a "one bike" bike. One that I could do aggressive trailing with ( I figured the 5" travel would give me this) and on occassions race XC races with it too. My NRS3 weighed in at 27.5 lbs and my Stumpy only weighs 26.4 lbs. I have the '04 Talas RL upfront and just love the adjustability it gives me. I'm able to wind down and lockout and set rear to firmest w/ propedal for ascents and unwind and go to the freezone on descents. In principle, w/ all my components the same w/ my NRS3, I was able to lose a pound, so this makes it a better race bike for me, right?

It is going to depend on how competitive the races you entering are? Will you be winning every race you enter? Probably not, but you should do well. While the Stumpy is a powerful XC bike, the epic is really the flagship XC racer bike for Specialized. In theory yes it should make a better race bike because you lost weight, but you should also take into account the different frames designs and such. I have no experience with the NRS so I'm not much help.

ballbuster

Race, sure! Win? eh....

Quote Originally Posted by grnhrnt

but then again, do you race to win, or race for fun? Depends on the race, too, I suppose. IMHO, a bigger travel comfy bike will probably take your further at 12 and 24 hr races.

I race my '03 stumpy. I love it. It is slower pedaling than my k2 razorback, but fits me better and is way more comfy. It is a pound heavier, but it leaves me fresher longer, which I think does me more good over the course of a race. It has a selection of 75 or 90mm of travel, and I leave it on 90. It is also much less twitchy at speed, so I think I'm less likely to make a catastrophic mistake at speed.

It will probably feel slower than the NRS, but your bones will feel less rattled out. I'm surprised that the stumpy is actually lighter. Stumpies are not exactly weight weenie bikes. It will probably corner better too over rough turns. The NRS has no negative travel (zero sag) so the wheel will leave the ground when there is a dip, where the stumpy can possibly push teh back wheel into the dip.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005

Heck Yes.

Depends on the level you race at....
    I do not race a stumpy but you can race on it and win (depending on who shows up). If the course is more technical hammer to the single track and then haul balls through the hairy stuff. This is where the stumpy will be an advantage. If it is a pure climbing course then you may be at a real disadvantage.

mtbr member

Race it!

I believe if you paid the money for it and you can ride it then by all meens, race it.
    There is no rules on what you can or can not race (within reason). If you have fun and ride as much as you can then race it, who knows you my like it.

Two wheels are best
    Train hard...race harder!

Another variable that will affect your racing success is the layout of the race course. If it's a rough, rocky, rooty course, you may do better on the 120 than you would have on a shorter travel bike or a hardtail.

Of course, on a smooth course, the extra travel isn't doing you any good...
    Never be afraid to try something new.

Remember amateurs built the Ark.
    Professionals built the Titanic.

RFKA Coldsnap
    May 2005
    I've heard of xc races where they threw people out for riding "the wrong bike" or "unkept beards". The bigger question is, are you man enough to show up to a xc race wearing baggies, drunk, and riding flat pedals? They won't kick you out for that as the racers/organizers will fear a roudy tussle with you that could result in bruising.

Go race that b!tch and kick ass! You'll see larger improvements in your race times/results by simply being fitter than losing a pound off the bike, duh.
    [SIZE=1]EXTREEM MEDIUM MOUNTAINSTYLE SLOPCROSS STEEDS:
    '06 Iron Horse 7Point3 w/888RC + Roco
    '05 Specialized Rockhopper Pro Disc FR-Pimped
    '92 Specialized HardRock Pink-Retro-XC-Pimped[/SIZE]