mtbr member
    Aug 2006

Can you upgrade 2003 Epic v-brakes to disc?

Can you upgrade a 2003 Epic from the standard v brakes to a disc brake? If so, what do people reccomend?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by artieandgumbo
    Can you upgrade a 2003 Epic from the standard v brakes to a disc brake? If so, what do people reccomend?
    I think my first machine was a 2003 Epic. I needed to face the mounts for the discs on both the frames and the forks, and then purchase new wheels, as they did not have disc compatible hubs... But in essence, yes!
    Building: ​Boardman 2010 HT Pro
    Current Joy: '11 Giant Anthem X
    Previous Joy: '09 Commencal Meta 5 VIP

mtbr member
    what fork are u using

Specialized Rida
    Quote Originally Posted by artieandgumbo
    yes you can. Just keep in mind that your hubs need to be disc specific hubs. Everything else should just bolt onto your fork and your frame without any problems.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Yes, I did on mine. You have to buy new disc-specific wheels, but the caliper mounts should already be on your frame & fork. I put on Avid BB7 and am very happy with them. By getting lighter wheels and tires I came out overall about the same weight. Even adding some weight they'd be worth it.