mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Can some one tell me what year this bike is?

I have a friend, who doesn't have a lot of money, who bought a used bike off Craigslist. She asked me to try and fix it. Any how it has a head set problem. Its a Sequoia with serial number P6LU10083. The head set has Cane Creek printed on it. It has caged ball bearings and I swear a crown race that looks like it fits a ACB type bearing. The cups are pressed into the head tube and I tried to remove them but they are in super tight. They also look like they are for a ACB. I could be wrong but.... The fork is a Surly Long Haul Trucker fork. Pretty sure some one worked on this bike that should not have.
    I would like to just get replacement parts/bearings but I will install another head set if I have to.
    Looked on the Specialized web site and came up with ether the Mindset or Intellaset as possible head sets for this thing just depends on the year. So if any one can tell me the year via the serial number that would be a big help.

I really hate with a passion non standard headsets.

Tim

old fart
    Mar 2010
    Best bet would be to take it to an LBS and hand the problem to them - at least they would have a press. Failing that, mic up the bearings and head over to Cane Creek website and hunt around. It would be much easier if you have the headset off, because you could tell whether it was "campy style" or not, and maybe even get a part number - some of the later Spec bikes use these newer style of headsets.