mtbr member
    Feb 2009

Can I put a 2011 FOX RP23 on a 2008 SJ FSR frame?

I'm looking at getting a good deal on a 2008 Carbon Sworks SJ FSR frame and it doesn't come with the shock or brain. I have a 2008 SJ FSR comp now and wonder if I can put a new fox float RP23 on the 2008 frame with no brain. How will it work compared to the specialized brain set up?

Rather than spend $5k on a new bike to get into a carbon/brain frame set up I'm considering buying a frame with new shock and transfering other parts to the new frame. Then get a new wheelset.

I'm a 165 pound rider and ride XC and endurance races.

King of Middle Earth
    Shouldn't be a problem? Personally, I think it would be better w/o the brain. I am riding an Epic and I have never been happy with the whole brain shock thing.

My '04 SJ Pro with 100mm travel was far more plush than my '09 Epic with 100mm brain shock system. The brain also adds weight to the bike....
    fee-fy-fo-fum...

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    So the fact that the new shock has more travel than a stock 08 shock is ok for the frame set up? How will this effect the fork set up?

I'm hoping I can just put a new upgraded rear shock on and keep the same front fork.

King of Middle Earth
    Quote Originally Posted by crimecrusher
    So the fact that the new shock has more travel than a stock 08 shock is ok for the frame set up? How will this effect the fork set up?

I'm hoping I can just put a new upgraded rear shock on and keep the same front fork.
    No, the shocks should have the same amount of travel if they are the same eye to eye measurement. More travel than it came with would not work unless the rocker has 2 mounting options.

I believe that the non-brain '08 SJs came with a Fox Triad shock. Therefore, an RP23 with the correct eye to eye measurement should work just fine. The frame geometery travel should be exactly the same whether it's carbon or aluminum.
    fee-fy-fo-fum...

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I'm running a 7.5x2.0 (I think) RP23 on my 08 SJ, it's a lot better than the Triad or whatever that came with it. I would have gone with a firm/firm tune if I didn't get such a good deal on mine. I didn't have any problems with putting the new one on. Do it!

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    yes, I've heard the 7.5x2 works on the 08 SJ's, but you can also get the 7.25x1.75 RP23 on eBay now for under $200. it's not the new Boost Valve shock, but still RP23.

I've been wanting to do this since I got my bike back in 08; never really liked the Brain much. was never able to find the right size shock until now, not to mention for half of what brand new would cost.

Hipster

Good job! Push Monarch RT3

I put the Rock Shox Monarch RT3 (from Push) on my 2008 Stumpjumper FSR Comp and am loving it.