mtbr member
    Nov 2005

Can I go wrong with a '06 Enduro Elite?

I'm interested in an 06 Enduro Elite (Euro version) , but not quite sure if there is any drawback, considering the price. At 2800 euros ($3200 ) it is relatively 'cheap'.

The Fork on the EU-Model is a Rock Shox Pike 409 (coil i think...). Is there anything significant I could not like about it - or anything else on the bike?

mtbr member
    You can't go wrong! Everything on the bike you can upgrade later. The frame is a great platform that you can improve later with high end components. The Elite has 140mm of rear travel- instead of 150mm due to a different shock, I think. There was a good review in German Bike Magazine.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    The pike is an excellent fork! The only thing you lose on the 409 is the ability to adjust the floodgate externally. But I don't think on an enduro you will need to be that picky. So if it is what you want then buy and ENJOY!!!

mtbr member
    If you can go wrong, I'm about to too! Ordering my Enduro Elite in a couple days, can't wait!
    Tarekith.com

'12 RM Slayer70, i9 Torch, Flow EX, XT Brakes, 5050 s3.

X-Ray Guy
    yeh im getting the Elite too...unless ur a real thrasher and doing a ton of aggressive stuff...the elite will be good...but if not...the Pro might be something to consider or an SX. I ordered an Elite for all mountain purposes with the ability to screw around with buddies on little jumps and stuff.

b3n
    mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I'm seriously thinking about switching to an Enduro Elite. One of my doubts is the possibility to go upwards as I did with my steel hardtail. I know I will climb slowly, but I want to pedal my bikes: I fear the 24/36 cranks of the Enduro, since I've ever owned bikes with 22/32/44. What do you think?

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    I compared the possible gear-combinations of the enduro vs. the current stumpjumper vs. my '98 spec fsr.
    Its not that bad. The possible gear-ratios range from 0.36 to 1.33 on the enduro and from 0.25 to 1.45 on the stumpjumper - the gears missing on the enduro are the two fastest and the slowest.

I think the 44-gear comes with the enduro in the box - at least i read that somewhere.

mtbr member
    My biggest concern is the weight increase, I'm coming froma n '05 Stumpy HT, which is only about 25 lbs.

That, and the fact that on the Enduro I'm going to be using flats (5050's) now, after spending the last couple of years riding clipless. I'll still switch to clipless for the longer XC stuff, but I'm guessing 90% of m riding will be in flats now.

Should be interesting, but well worth the ability to take bigger drops and hits now!
    Tarekith.com

X-Ray Guy
    yeh im regards to the not have the big chain ring...i thought about that a while too and seriously when im in the trail on my hardtail there is almost no opportunity to be going that fast before i have to make a turn or some obstacle is in my way. Ive used the middle for a while and it shows with the wear i have on it, the big ring is just gettin chewed up by rocks and logs, so bash guard be better in my case.

Yes the weight issue kinda sucks too...im going from a 26 lb hard tail and i think it will take me a few rides to appreciate the gain in strength over weight. I was gonna go for a stumpjumper expert, but id never expect to race really, just more enjoying 3-5 hr rides and i love the sram spec.

b3n
    mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Also my hardtail is about 25lbs, and my "jolly" ratio is 34/22 = 1.545: I don't know how hard could be pedalling 8lbs more with a worse gear ratio... I mean: switching to an Enduro/All Mountain full suspended bike I expected less performance while climbing, but I have to pedal it however. I should find a dealer and test ride an Enduro on steep trails

mtbr member
    No dealers near me ever have Enduro's. I too was thinking about the Stumpy FSR, just for the weight. But I think in a year or so I'd be hitting the limits of the bike again and start wanting more travel. Might as well just take the plunge to the dark side and get it over with I'm a distance runner too, so the strength thing doesn't bother me. Just wondering how much work it's going to be hopping this thing over logs
    Tarekith.com

b3n
    mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Well Tarekith, you have exactly my thoughts, and it seems you want to use the bike in the same way I would use it: I'm looking forward to read your Enduro Elite review!

mtbr member
    I find the 24/36 ratio on my Enduro Elite to be perfect, and it does come with a 44 if you want to get rid of your bashguard.

mtbr member
    Hoping to order the Elite later on today or tomorrow at the latest. Best price I can find on an '06 is about $2499, anyone seen cheaper?
    Tarekith.com