mtbr member
    May 2007

Can anyone help w/info on an older FSR?

I've gotten some positive input on this bike, and have decided it would be a good first f/s bike for me. I am wondering if there is anything specific to this frame that I should address regarding the stock components. My modification method usually revolves around my ability level. i.e. If my riding exceeds the limits of a particular component, I try to upgrade it. Will this bike be able to keep up if I graduate from beginner/novice to a more experienced level of trails?

My riding will be primarily light duty, and some obligatory around town rides. I live in Los Gatos, and I understand there are some pretty good trails in the hills in/around town. My folks live at the top of the long ridge trail into the demo forest, so I'd like to start riding those as well. Is this a good bike for that kind of riding? Sorry for the questions, but in looking at the forums I see all-mountain, x-country, downhill, etc. I'l keep searching for information on all that, I'm just not sure what type of riding qualifies as what yet...

Is it possible to adapt an older bike like this to disc brakes?
    Thanks in advance...

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    I believe this is a low end '99 FSR. The suspension is generally good, but the Rock Shox deluxe rear shock has no damping adjustment and does not work well unless the damping rate fits you well as is. The bike can be fitted with disc brakes if you can get ahold of a shark fin (you may have to drill a small hole in the drop out) and you would need new hubs, of course. I would not put a lot of money into this bike.

I Just Ride....
    I am thinking it is more of a 98 or 97. The fork and the colors are indicating that to me.
    With the expenses involved in doing such an upgrade on an older bike, I wouldn't do it myself.
    Brian
    Artistic Mountain Bike Photography
    My MTBR Gallery
    "I Ride my bike, to Ride my bike...."
    From a Zen proverb

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I say ride it as is, when your abilities exceed the bike replace it with something that suits your riding style. You'll learn what you do and don't like only from trying what you've got right? I wouldn't invest any money into this bike beyond basic maintenance items like tubes, brake pads and things that break.

Just have fun with it and save your money

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Great - thanks a lot. I thought it would be a pretty good "first" f/s bike, seems like that is true - at least for the most part. The suspension feels pretty good as is, but I haven't launched it yet. If it's too soft over jumps, can I turn down the retaining nut on the spring to stiffen it up, or does that just reduce it's compression travel?

I guess if I ever get to the point that the bike can't keep up with me, I'll look into a newer replacement. Thanks for the sound advice.

Now it's time to go out and ride it!

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbbrian
    I am thinking it is more of a 98 or 97. The fork and the colors are indicating that to me.
    With the expenses involved in doing such an upgrade on an older bike, I wouldn't do it myself.
    Brian
    Nope, that is the 1999 base model FSR. Those are great bikes that can take tons of abuse. Ride the heck out of it. Upgrade the rear shock if you can.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Adjusting the spring nut makes the spring stiffer. If you make it too stiff it can damage the shock so be careful. The problem with that shock is you cannot adjust the damping to match the new spring rate and you can get the catapault effect on rebound. I had a 98 FSR which uses the same frame as yours and I found a Fox Vanilla shock for it. The shock lenght is odd (6.25") so they may be hard to find but it is worth looking on Ebay.

My Frame cracked in 2005 and Specialized gave me a new frame under warantee-great support!