Results 1 to 20 of 20
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    13

    Can anyone determine approx. year and model of this bike?

    The seller is asking $300 and he doesn't seem to know much about it. He said it's 2003 specialized but I can't math with anything on google images. It almost looks like some cheap repainted frame with some newer components.

    Here is a photo:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Can anyone determine approx. year and model of this bike?-screenshot_2017-10-18-17-44-11.jpg  


  2. #2
    Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    Reputation: DIRTJUNKIE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Posts
    29,816
    If you pay $300 for that I've got some land in the Sonoran Desert I'll sell you for cheap. I'll even include a well drill bit for an extra 2 bills.
    ----------- __o
    --------- _`\<,_
    BRAAP(>)/ (*)
    ************^^^^¯\_(ツ)_/¯

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqpcBpSsj1A

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    3,640
    what is newer on that thing, the bike bell?

    if you prefer more direct advice: don't buy that bike.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Posts
    289
    Is the fork on backwards?

    Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    13
    Lol I've always wanted to move to a warmer place but a desert might be a bit too much. Maybe if there are some mountains near by for biking i might consider.
    Regarding the deal of the century, I was going to offer max $150 anyways. There is no way to determime the model from that crappy angle?

  6. #6
    B A N N E D
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    4,836
    Quote Originally Posted by Substorm View Post
    The seller is asking $300 and he doesn't seem to know much about it. He said it's 2003 specialized but I can't math with anything on google images. It almost looks like some cheap repainted frame with some newer components.
    Looks similar to a Big Hit model from 2003-2004, possibly a Big Hit / Big Hit Spec / Big Hit Sport.
    Here's a similar bike:
    https://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/536495/
    https://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/154295/
    https://www.pinkbike.com/u/djensen5/...-Big-hit-spec/

    Quote Originally Posted by wytemike21 View Post
    Is the fork on backwards?
    It's a Manitou fork with the reverse arch.

  7. #7
    Moderator Moderator
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    5,617
    Maybe even a Big Hit Spec? Looks like something a buddy had bitd.

    I dunno, I think I could have at least a couple hundred worth of fun with that thing if it was in good shape. Don't expect to win any XC races or anything on it, but it should take a decent beating if it's a Big Hit.
    Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    Sunday River Mtn Bike Park
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.

  8. #8
    Cycologist
    Reputation: chazpat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    2,661
    Quote Originally Posted by cjsb View Post
    what is newer on that thing, the bike bell?
    I think he just picked up that saddle from Walmart last week.
    There are two types of people in this world:
    1) Those who can extrapolate from incomplete data

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    3,640
    Quote Originally Posted by chazpat View Post
    I think he just picked up that saddle from Walmart last week.
    and it looks like Saddle is already stained with bird poop. this seller isn't hiding anything.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Engineer90's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Posts
    549
    OP, don't do it. Looks like a Walmart bike and some "nice" components.
    2015 Specialized Rockhopper
    2015 Giant Stance FS (wife's bike)
    2016 Framed Alaskan Alloy

  11. #11
    B A N N E D
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    4,836
    Quote Originally Posted by chazpat View Post
    I think he just picked up that saddle from Walmart last week.
    Quote Originally Posted by cjsb View Post
    and it looks like Saddle is already stained with bird poop.
    It's the stock saddle that would of came with the bike, the bird poop is a 'S' for Specialized.

    Can anyone determine approx. year and model of this bike?-screen-shot-2017-10-20-12.09.13-am.png

    Quote Originally Posted by Engineer90 View Post
    OP, don't do it. Looks like a Walmart bike and some "nice" components.
    A Specialized Big Hit is a bit better then a Walmart bike.

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    13
    Quote Originally Posted by cobba View Post
    Looks similar to a Big Hit model from 2003-2004, possibly a Big Hit / Big Hit Spec / Big Hit Sport.
    Here's a similar bike:
    https://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/536495/
    https://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/154295/
    https://www.pinkbike.com/u/djensen5/...-Big-hit-spec/



    It's a Manitou fork with the reverse arch.
    That is the one! Big thanks Cobba for doing all that quality detective work. Upon checking on bluebook, $100-$150 would be a decent deal but he won't go below $250. The bird poop saddle and nice shiny bell don't justify the cost.

  13. #13
    bike tester
    Reputation: syl3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    1,175
    Quote Originally Posted by wytemike21 View Post
    Is the fork on backwards?

    Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
    no that's a manitou nixon or something of that sort with a reverse arch. if it was on backwards the disc would be on the right.

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    3,640
    You should keep the door open with the seller, now that you know the bike. The bike is 14'years old probably? Who knows how hard it has been ridden, but those were tough bikes. I'd hold at$150 and tell him to contact you if he changes his mind. Maybe I am way off but I doubt there is a stampede for a 14'year old bike. You may also want
    to check in with him in 2 weeks.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    89
    Looks like a Specialized Big Hit Grom. They were made in the mid 2000's.

    Not a bad bike, better ones out there though...

    Goggle search.....
    2006 Specialized FSRxc / 2006 Redline Conquest / 2009 Specialized Allez
    Gone: 2002 Specialized Big Hit / 2004 Kona Stinky

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    29
    Quote Originally Posted by Substorm View Post
    The seller is asking $300 and he doesn't seem to know much about it. He said it's 2003 specialized but I can't math with anything on google images. It almost looks like some cheap repainted frame with some newer components.

    Here is a photo:
    Honestly the fact that he dont know nor have the sense to look on the bike because it would have the name or at least a bar code would make me sceptical about him.

    Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

  17. #17
    Moderator Moderator
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    5,617
    I'm skeptical as to why you can't see the picture clearly shows that there're no stickers on the bike. I'm also skeptical about 'bar codes'; I have a bunch of bikes and none of them sports a 'bar code'. Last of all, I'm skeptical of your spelling of sceptical. You spell tire with a "y" too? I dunno how I feel about that...

    :
    Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    Sunday River Mtn Bike Park
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    29
    Quote Originally Posted by slapheadmofo View Post
    I'm skeptical as to why you can't see the picture clearly shows that there're no stickers on the bike. I'm also skeptical about 'bar codes'; I have a bunch of bikes and none of them sports a 'bar code'. Last of all, I'm skeptical of your spelling of "sceptical".

    Hmmmm....

    Ha social media guy lol

    Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

  19. #19
    In dog years, I'm dead.
    Reputation: burtronix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    1,030
    Quote Originally Posted by cjsb View Post
    You should keep the door open with the seller, now that you know the bike. The bike is 14'years old probably? Who knows how hard it has been ridden, but those were tough bikes. I'd hold at$150 and tell him to contact you if he changes his mind. Maybe I am way off but I doubt there is a stampede for a 14'year old bike. You may also want
    to check in with him in 2 weeks.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Or you could take the hard-nose approach & tell him your offer goes down $10 a day starting tomorrow.

    Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    Whatever your hand finds to do, do it with all your might.... (Ecclesiastes 9:10)

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    13
    I will check on that bike from time to time but I don't think he's in a rush to sell it. However, here is something that I just couldn't pass for only $40. Might even ride it for a bit but probably use it more for parts
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Can anyone determine approx. year and model of this bike?-20171022_190326.jpg  


Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 8
    Last Post: 08-23-2017, 11:47 AM
  2. Please help to determine year and model of this diamondback?
    By Substorm in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-23-2017, 08:13 AM
  3. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-10-2017, 03:18 PM
  4. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 05-08-2016, 02:33 PM
  5. Can anyone ID the model and year of this specialized bike?
    By chosos in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-21-2012, 07:55 AM

Members who have read this thread: 89

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •