Hello! Here is a long one>
Can anyone help me identify the crankset, mainly the left Crankarm on this bike? I am totally new here and desperate to find out how to identify the cranks then find a new left one.
- I recently saved up some cash and purchased a used Specialized Stumpjumper S-works M4.
-I was attempting to change the pedals from Clipons to a regular style and stripped out the left crank arm where the pedal is connected (the pedal just turns and will not come out).... I must admit I have a lot to learn and have been getting schooled on the difficulty of finding a crank arm for this older bike.... I took it to 2 places and got 2 slightly different crank arm identifications and a variety of suggestions.
I need to go with the most affordable possible option and that seems to be somehow finding a new left crank arm. I have spent 10 hours researching and am getting nowhere.
- I first took it to REI because I live beside it.
- He said it was an Octalink V1 and way out of date.
- He said what was unusual is that the Octalink V1 is usually a road bike crank but its on a mountain bike.
-He then said if I did not care about salvaging the pedal I could drill the pedal out and they could attempt to rethread it. But then he said it was a roll of the dice it still might not work and I would be out of the labor money.
- He suggested a new crankset but the cost was way out of touch for me right now.
-He said definitely the most affordable option would be to just get a used crank arm but it would be very difficult to find one. He suggested craigslist and ebay.
- He then suggested another bike shop for another opinion
-----The second bike shop said many of the same things but added his "guess" on the kind of crank arm.
- Said it the crank was rebranded to S-works but was made by Shimano and was an Octalink v2 he thought it was a actually a Strongarm II crank. He did not seem as sure as the first guy who said it was an Octilink V1.
-He suggested finding a used one also if I cant afford a new crankset.
---So I am left confused if is an Octalink V1 or V2.
------ Here is what is one the crank
- S-works - on the back: 175mm, ST6, HT-11
-Can any help my identify it and what kind of crank arm can replace it? here are some pics
Results 1 to 6 of 6
Check out the hottest mountain bike products from these brands!
See All Interbike Coverage - Click Here »