Oh Yea
    Jun 2013

Can any help me identify these crank arms on this 1999 S-works Stumpjumper M4

Hello! Here is a long one>
    Can anyone help me identify the crankset, mainly the left Crankarm on this bike? I am totally new here and desperate to find out how to identify the cranks then find a new left one.
    - I recently saved up some cash and purchased a used Specialized Stumpjumper S-works M4.

-I was attempting to change the pedals from Clipons to a regular style and stripped out the left crank arm where the pedal is connected (the pedal just turns and will not come out).... I must admit I have a lot to learn and have been getting schooled on the difficulty of finding a crank arm for this older bike.... I took it to 2 places and got 2 slightly different crank arm identifications and a variety of suggestions.
    I need to go with the most affordable possible option and that seems to be somehow finding a new left crank arm. I have spent 10 hours researching and am getting nowhere.

- I first took it to REI because I live beside it.
    - He said it was an Octalink V1 and way out of date.
    - He said what was unusual is that the Octalink V1 is usually a road bike crank but its on a mountain bike.
    -He then said if I did not care about salvaging the pedal I could drill the pedal out and they could attempt to rethread it. But then he said it was a roll of the dice it still might not work and I would be out of the labor money.
    - He suggested a new crankset but the cost was way out of touch for me right now.
    -He said definitely the most affordable option would be to just get a used crank arm but it would be very difficult to find one. He suggested craigslist and ebay.
    - He then suggested another bike shop for another opinion

-----The second bike shop said many of the same things but added his "guess" on the kind of crank arm.
    - Said it the crank was rebranded to S-works but was made by Shimano and was an Octalink v2 he thought it was a actually a Strongarm II crank. He did not seem as sure as the first guy who said it was an Octilink V1.
    -He suggested finding a used one also if I cant afford a new crankset.

---So I am left confused if is an Octalink V1 or V2.
    ------ Here is what is one the crank
    - S-works - on the back: 175mm, ST6, HT-11

-Can any help my identify it and what kind of crank arm can replace it? here are some pics
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Can any help me identify these crank arms on this 1999 S-works Stumpjumper M4-crank-front-close-up-small.jpg  

Can any help me identify these crank arms on this 1999 S-works Stumpjumper M4-bike-fron-small.jpg  

Elitest thrill junkie
    I thought those were all square taper?

In any case, it's either a Strongarm or Son of Strongarm or Strongarm II crank, those were the names Specialized gave to their cranks. Put those in a search engine with some other identifying terms and see. Evidently the Strongarm II were octalink, so maybe they are. You either need a crankarm extracter or self-extracting bolt.

The prongs in the bolt shown indicate it's a self-extracting bolt. so you might be in luck if you can just find a large (10 or 12mm?) allen. You usually need a pretty long one to generate the required torque.

Working in a shop I never heard of mountain bike cranks with a different roadbike octalink standard.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    so, this will not work with modern hollowtech II crankset?

Waiting for peace
    What you have is the original crank on the bike: a Specialized ForeArm. That is a square taper crankset! Finding one might be possible but I wouldn't hold my breath! Try eBay! maybe you'll win!
    Track-Standing at the threshold

Waiting for peace
    Track-Standing at the threshold

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Stupid question, why not replace the BB and crankset all at once? Finding a cheap one to replace both would be < 100$ and work much better.