mtbr member

Camber or Stumpy Fsr (29)

i am looking into saving for an fsr, its between the camber comp 29($2600) and the stumpy comp 29($3000). I feel the camber will be better for the area i ride in vs the stumpy fsr. i want to practice drops and get better at dh, so im leaning toward the stumpy more. how do the suspension setups compare, rockshox vs fox float ctd.

i ride a 2011 stumpy ht comp 29 right now, and its great for the trails i ride, so i was thinking the stumpy fsr will be good for different trails, involving more technical, drops, and hills.

mtbr member
    Yes, FSR in your case is the better choice

mtbr member

Re: Camber or Stumpy Fsr (29)

Now you didn't really believe we'd suggest the cheaper one?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Talk to your local dealer. See what kind of deal they can do. My LBS was able to get the two bikes much closer in price than is listed on the Specialized website. If the ACTUAL price difference is less than $400, it might help you make up your mind.

I went with the SJ Comp 29er. I loved the Camber Comp too, just thought the SJ was more bang-for-my-buck.

Had a 3 hour ride on some gnarly boulders today... Sure glad I got the one with the extra travel, I used every bit of it today.

No talent hack
    Nov 2010
    I went Camber Comp as I didn't like the feel of the FSR. That said, you need to ride both (on a trail if at all possible) and decide for yourself. For drops and more DH orientated, you will likely be better off with the FSR than the Camber, but you may like the Camber more in the end.
    Fat guys need bikes too.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    +1 for Camber. Mine handles 3' drops no probs. Big wheels don't need that much suspension IMHO. If you need that much suspension, go 26er.

mtbr member
    I test rode both the Stumpy Comp 29 FSR & the Camber Comp 29 quite extensively on our trails here in Colorado (Fort Collins). I never got along with the Camber on rougher trails, just was not as playful & the Stumpy just felt better as an all around bike. I even liked the way it climbed better. Rode both with my same bar / stem set up of 785's on 50 stem, both larges. Just test rode another 29 Stumpy FSR for the weekend in Fruita & Grand Junction, Stumpy rocked out there!

mtbr member
    Camber is better for speed but FSR is better for the gnar. I owned both. While I miss the acceleration of the Camber, the Stumpy handles chunkier trails much better. If I want speed, I ride my hardtail.