mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Camber standover Ht.

The stand over ht on the carbon is 20mm higher then the aluminium version. Any of you guys on a large carbon Camber have an issue with stand over height and still like the fit?

I am looking at getting a Camber Expert EVO and I had tried the medium AL comp with a longer stem which felt decent but, the LBS thinks I should be on a large. Though I haven't tried a large, I did sit on a large carbon and found my boys weren't to happy when standing over the bar. I'm 5' 8" and wear jean with a 30" inseam.
    Last edited by Stevebiker; 03-27-2013 at 07:19 AM.

Competent User

Camber stand Ht.

You sound like a medium to me. I'm 5'10" with 30 inch inseam and that's what Camber I ride. Unless you have extremely long arms, a medium sounds just right. But it comes down to your preference.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I am 6'-0 and ride a large Camber. I love the stand over height myself, mine is aluminum so I may not be much help here, but the bike feels smaller than a large based on stand over height and weight, but fits me MUCH better than my previous medium 26" ride.

mtbr member
    I'm 5' 9.5" with a 30" inseam and ride a medium 2013 alloy Camber 29er.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I'm pretty sure I will go with a medium. Part of me sez wait until the snow is gone and try a Large to make sure but.... I will be headed south for a long weekend before that and sure would like to bring a brand new bike with me.

Any of you use a longer stem? Also, I'm still curious if anybody under say 5'10"ish is on a large. Especially a Carbon with the higher standover.

Competent User

Camber standover Ht.

I'm a hair under 5'10" and I used a 0 rise 65mm stem. I've got longish arms. I wanted to make the bike livlier. It came with a 75mm I think. I like this better.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Quint View Post
    I'm a hair under 5'10" and I used a 0 rise 65mm stem. I've got longish arms. I wanted to make the bike livlier. It came with a 75mm I think. I like this better.
    Now that's interesting. 5' 10" with a shorter stem. I had been thinking about a longer stem then cutting the bars down to keep it lively (not much of a fan of wide bars anyhow). Perhaps I will leave the original stem and see how I like it after a while.

mtbr member
    I am 5-11, 32 inch in seam. I have a a LG Camber carbon expert EVO. This is a big bike but I don't notice it while riding. I did go to a 70 mm stem. I got one of those cheap Chinese UNO stems for $30. The stock stem was 110mm. I suggest you go with a medium.
    The carbon bars on the EVO are very wide, I took 1/2 off each side.
    If the path ahead looks dangerous ------- it probably is!

Old goat
    Aug 2009
    I once had a shop put me on an mtb where the twins were feeling nervous. Once.
    To quote Kraemer from Seinfeld, "My boys need room, Jerry!"
    OP- your salesman may be a roadie or Cx rider but do not tempt fate off road. Too many variables and x factors. Go medium.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevebiker View Post
    The stand over ht on the carbon is 20mm higher then the aluminium version. Any of you guys on a large carbon Camber have an issue with stand over height and still like the fit?

I am looking at getting a Camber Expert EVO and I had tried the medium AL comp with a longer stem which felt decent but, the LBS thinks I should be on a large. Though I haven't tried a large, I did sit on a large carbon and found my boys weren't to happy when standing over the bar. I'm 5' 8" and wear jean with a 30" inseam.
    I am also 5'8" tall and ride a small and still have standover issues if not on flat ground. I am riding the alum comp 29er.
    2013 Specialized Carbon Camber Pro 29er (Warranty frame and other stuff)
    2011 Specialized Stumpjumper Comp 29er

mtbr member

Camber standover Ht.

I'm 5 foot 10 inseam of 30 ride a med. carbon comp. feels perfect

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Well, I hit the bike shop and spent some time on the medium on the trainer as there is to much snow out there. Pretty confy on it so I ordered my Camber today.

I'm getting the Carbon Expert EVO with a couple of changes.
    Roval carbon (beadless) wheels.
    The new XO twisties.

It's way more money then a guy should spend but, I ride quite a bit and plan on havingit for a while. I can't wait!

mtbr member
    The EVO is a great bike, you'll love it. You won't need much air in the SID fork. I am 190 # and I run 85-90 psi. Check your fork out, they sent me an RL vs RLT so I had to get a new cartridge. To be honest it isn't much different. I recommend you have the LBS set it up tubeless. Mine came with Fast Traks on both wheels. I didn't like them. I have Purgatory front and Ground Control rear. Spec has a deal that if you don't like your tires you can get different ones. The LBS may not tell you that but it is true so push this if you want. I went 1 x 10 but it took some effort. I also went with a 70 mm stem and cut the bar width down 1/2 " each side. The formula brakes work great but they are very finicky. I have to adjust them every 3-4 rides because they start rubbing.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    MObiker, Is that a 2013 that had the RL only fork? I will check it out. I'm not a fan of the Fast tracks either. Hold a little mud and suck in sand IMO. The mechanic that put the bike together commented that the fomulas were a PITA to get dialed in... funny.

mtbr member
    Yes, I have a 2013. I don't think they had an 2012 carbon EVO in the US.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    First ride on my Medium EVO this weekend. Fit is good. The EVO has a longer stem which fits perfect.